Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice: Belkin USB adapter and BT email addresses

Bigdavel
Dabbler

Advice: Belkin USB adapter and BT email addresses

Can you help me with several matters :
1.  Firstly I am trying to put wireless internet on my daughters PC (Dell , XP etc) using a Belkin G+ usb adapter via my Router 2091.  I have tried several times to connect to my router but the PC says limited or failed connection although signal strength is at around 70 %.  Can anyone give me advice on settings please ? I am not sure which security setting to use WPA etc or encryption settings etc.
2. Also I wish to continue to use my btinternet email addresses. I have been using dial up until now !  How can I set up the router/plus net to access these please ? 
Appreciate any help, thanks
Dave
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Advice: Belkin USB adapter and BT email addresses

Hi, firstly I suggest you split these into 2 separate questions in separate threads, it will make it easier for people to follow, reply and help you.
Re your BT addresses I can think of 2 issues, neither of which are really much to do with PlusNet:
1. How did/do you access your email, e.g. Outlook (Express) and/or webmail? The settings will probably be the same.
2. Were they linked to your BT Broadband or only ever on dial-up? If so what have BT said (check their help online) about keeping them; you may have to pay a small fee but typically most ISP's keep email running for a few months after you've left and/or limit facilities (e.g. storage)
paulby
Grafter

To answer your e-mail question - If you're using OE (or any other e-mail client) you need to edit your BT email account settings so that the *outgoing* SMTP server is changed to relay.plus.net  Leave all your other settings (incoming POP3 server, username and password) as they are.
In Outlook Express you can do the above by going to Tools>Accounts, highlighting your BT account and then choosing Properties.
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Bigdavel
Can you help me with several matters :
1.  Firstly I am trying to put wireless internet on my daughters PC (Dell , XP etc) using a Belkin G+ usb adapter via my Router 2091.  I have tried several times to connect to my router but the PC says limited or failed connection although signal strength is at around 70 %.  Can anyone give me advice on settings please ? I am not sure which security setting to use WPA etc or encryption settings etc.

Hi again! I did exactly the same thing with exactly the same hardware a few days ago. This post was particularly useful to me so hopefully it will be to you too: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,60549.msg492086.html#msg492086
Good luck!
Tsonga
Grafter

To add to what I said last night, the easy way of setting up a wireless connection is:
1. Go to the Voyager 2091 Configuration Manager page.
2. Go to Advanced/Configuration/Wireless
3. Assign a Wireless Network Name (SSID)
4. Go through each of the tabs (settings, Encryption etc.) and consult the help sections. Follow the indications. This link explains how to set up WPA: http://www.pcrepair4glasgow.co.uk/install_2091_page5.htm
5. Go to your Belkin Configuration Wizard on your daughter's PC.
6. Make sure that you enter your Wireless Network Name (SSID) so that your d's PC knows which network to go for.
It is actually incredibly easy (takes no more than 5 minutes), but unless the PC and the router have the same SSID, your PC will not know what to connect to.
Hope this helps!

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Also don't use WEP encryption as it is very easy to crack. Use WPA (or better still WPA2 if both units support it) and use a shared key string.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Paul_B
you need to edit your BT email account settings so that the *outgoing* SMTP server is changed to relay.plus.net .

I don't think PN block anything so that may not be necessary.
Or do the BT servers only accept outgoing connections over a BT link?
(Maybe they just need authentication if it's not already on)
paulby
Grafter

Most ISPs will block the use of their SMTP server for "off net" connections unless, as you say, it's an authenticated server.
Making the change to relay.plus.net will make sure that outgoing mail will be sent while on PN's network.
(BTW you can use relay.plus.net as an authenticated server by entering your portal user name and password in the appropriate places in your e-mail client  - you musn't tick the box that says logon using Secure Password Authentication in OE though).