cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Advanced' stats?

MarkB
Grafter

'Advanced' stats?

I've saw several threads where people are talking about router stats, with their SNR and attenthingy etc. etc. However on the Thomson router I've been sent out I can't see anything like that in the router menus. Any ideas if this is possible?

Cheers,
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 'Advanced' stats?

MarkB
Grafter

Thank you very much! Now I have access to lots of stats that are quite meaningless to me at the moment..  Grin Grin Although I would have thought my "Line Attenuation" would be lower than 9, considering I can hit the exchange with a stone from my house. Not having any problems, I'm just a curious type of person and like seeing what's what and why.

edit:spelling monkies

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is about 0.7km wire length using the normal algorithm but it probably doesn't work at very low attenuations due to the attenuation inherent to the equipment at each end of the wire
MarkB
Grafter

So in very basic terms, the equipment at the exchange and at home are giving a bit of overhead on that figure? I would guesstimate I'm about 100 - 150 meters away at most.. lol
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get a good idea of the distance by putting your details in http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker, then press "Search", and then selecting the "Locality" tab on the resulting screen.
MarkB
Grafter

Thanks for that purleigh, interestingly according to that the distance is over 400 meters in a straight line. I can only assume they mean pygmy meters  Shocked
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

There may be a significant proportion of your line length within the exchange - jumpers, tie circuits between distribution frames, and the drop down to the cable chamber, especially if it a large building.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The lowest attenuation I've ever seen was 3dB and that was a microwave transmitter situated inside the exchange. Add to that a length of wiring to the cabinet then some connections inside the cabinet then some more wiring to the distribution box and some more connections and the drop cable and your master socket... The attenuation adds up Smiley
MarkB
Grafter

So what your saying is there is a lot of valuable copper in there, eh? Hmmmm..  Wink
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That information is already in the public domain  Tongue