cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adsl broadband dropping out very frequently

Cjtm20

Adsl broadband dropping out very frequently

Hi

My broadband is dropping out constantly (up to every 5 mins) and speed has dropped from 10mbps to 1 mbps a lot of the time. Drop outs seem to be correlated with when an intense request is put on the line, e.g. when trying to start a movie. Otherwise dropouts appear to be at random. Each time the router (Plusone) drops from blue light to flashing orange, then steady orange and then sets back to blue. Has been happening since Thursday.

Nothing has changed in my setup in the house, and connection can be good in between the drops. I have checked the resolutions in your troubleshooting section and found no improvement.

Please can you advise.
11 REPLIES 11
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Adsl broadband dropping out very frequently

Hi @Cjtm20, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of your intermittent connection issues.

On checking the line, we aren't detecting a fault but have detected that the line has been 'banded' (restricted in speed) due to the disconnections you reference, which is why your speed has dropped.

With that in mind, we need to get to the bottom of the instability in order to be able to remove the banding. As you've completed the troubleshooting steps, have you managed to get your connection into the test socket?

Cjtm20

Yes - tried the test socket this morning. Same issue - connected briefly and then drops out whenever a load is put on it (e.g. downloading a film).

Issues remains intermittent - last night it worked perfectly with stable connection and decent speeds All eve. This morning it’s kaput again, barely able to connect for 3 mins.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Cjtm20, thanks for getting back to me.

I've detected what's known as a 'loop condition', which is often an issue caused by the home setup.

I understand that your setup hasn't changed recently but we'll need for you to remove all equipment so that we can re-test. If the issue is still detected, we know that it's a genuine fault.

If the issue is no longer detected, we'll know that it's an internal wiring or setup issue.

If you can let me know when you've unplugged everything, I'll run the further testing for you.

Cjtm20

Thanks - Everything has been unplugged, so please retest.

Will need to reconnect it this eve since my boiler runs off a smart thermostat, so need it for heating!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great @Cjtm20, thanks for that.

I've re-run the copper line test and am still detecting the issue, so we'll need to proceed straight to an engineer appointment as we have now proven it is not a home setup fault.

There's a statement that I'll need you to review and respond to which is accessible here.

I'm keeping hold of your thread so please let me know the moment you've replied to the ticket and I'll book it in for you.

Cjtm20

Hi

I have replied to the thread.

Thanks

Chris

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Cjtm20,

Thanks for getting back to us. I've updated the ticket again from our side of things to confirm the booking. If you have any questions in the meantime please don't hesitate to ask and we'll be happy to assist wherever possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Cjtm20

This problem has returned, exactly the same symptoms. I have tried to check by connecting to the test socket, but the new master socket installed by the Openreach engineer does not appear to have one.

I am assuming this is the loop condition issue again. I have unplugged everything from the master socket so you can run a line test. Given the last issue took 2 months to resolve, I would appreciate if this could be investigated urgently.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear that the issues have returned.

I've retested the line and unfortunately, it is detecting a loop fault again.

If you can respond to the ticket we've created on your account here and post back once you've done so we'll get that picked up straight away

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Cjtm20

Thanks Matt, I have replied.

Chris

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Cjtm20,

Thank you for replying via the ticket. An advisor from our fault team has picked this up now and will be in touch with an update shortly.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team