cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adsl Up and Down Frequently

MarkC
Grafter

Re: Adsl Up and Down Frequently

Teach me to respond before checking my email - it's due to be a hub zero.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

No problem @MarkC,

Router's don't have a shelf life on them so it's difficult to tell if it is the cause of an issue however, it's quite possible with the age of the router. The router is a Sagemcom 2740N which isn't described specifically in the email.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Can the periods of poor connectivity be correlated with anything?

• Bad weather
  • Being at home / not at home
  • Using / not using specific electrical equipment
  • Improves after using the phone (particularly receiving a call)

One of the big issues with noisy lines, is that the act of testing them can rectify the fault (the higher test currents / voltages dry damp joints).  It might be worth while trying to report to BT that your line is INTERMITTENTLY noisy.

Situations such as this point to the challenges of having separate suppliers for phone & broadband - the nature of the wholesale / infrastructure supplier result in retail resellers having to pass the problem back and forth.  If everything comes from one reseller, they can manage the multiple houses (aka an utter shambles) of BTw and BTOR.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MarkC
Grafter

@Townman  - I haven't seen much correlation with anything else. The drops are at all hours of the day and night, when we are home and when there is no-one there. I had thought it was connected to bad weather (ie rain), but it almost seems to be some time after rain (ie not so much when it's raining but some hours/days later). One thing not mentioned earlier was that when the issue was occurring last Friday our Dect phone was displaying "line cord error" during the down periods, and there was no dial tone.

Mark

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

These symptoms including after rain suggest water ingress to a joint somewhere. Given time / lines test voltages the joints dry out.

You need to report the fault as intermittent and sometimes no dial tone. This needs a d-side swap or every joint on the PHONE line remaking.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MarkC
Grafter

@Townman - you might be on to something. Yesterday the connection was very intermittent in the middle of the afternoon, about 2 hours after heavy rain (by then it wasn't raining) - up until then it had been flawless for nearly 9 days.

@adamwalker - how would I go about reporting the fault as per Townman's suggestion? I'm in the difficult position of not being able to run through the fault tracker whilst the fault is occurring as the connectivity at that time is so bad you can't go through the process, then when you have the ability to go through the fault tracker the fault is no longer occurring.

Mark

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Mark, don't worry about reporting it when it's evident as we keep in mind that when there's an intermittent connection that it might be working at the time you report it. The faults troubleshooter is at http://faults.plus.net

Let me know when you've raised it and I'll make sure it gets picked up. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MarkC
Grafter

ticket

190414583 raised

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @MarkC 

I've picked up the ticket and ran the required tests. 

The ticket has been updated with results and detail on how we are to move forward. Could you please reply to it with the requested info? 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

MarkC
Grafter

Bump - added notes to ticket 190414583 @MasterOfReality , @adamwalker - can you please get Openreach to fix the problem they have caused? As noted in the ticket, router is synced at 888 up and 11454 down, but stuck at connecting to the plusdsl.net realm. No broadband since friday afternoon.

Would someone be able to confirm (in the ticket) what the broadband password would be, just in case that has somehow got corrupted in the router?

Mark

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @MarkC

Thank for highlighting this - I've sent this back to our suppliers and advised that your issues are ongoing. Our fault team will monitor this for you and provide any further updates.

In terms of your password - we don't get to see your password I'm afraid, however, you can reset it via the Member Centre and try to authenticate the router with the new password to see if this helps?

Best wishes

Dave

MarkC
Grafter

@RandallFlagg  - I just updated the ticket - engineer thinks he might have sorted it, but I won't know for sure until tonight. Would the realm password be the one the support guys ask me to confirm characters from? If so then I know what it is.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @MarkC - it would indeed!

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Dave

MarkC
Grafter

@RandallFlagg - can you see if my router is connected? It might just be nothing, but my usage on VMBU is slowly going up (but the figures for today are still 0).

Mark

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mark,

It is indeed showing a fresh connection of around 5 hours with approx 400mb downloaded - can't see which auth details it's using, but the previous data usage was at zero prior to the new session. Seems encouraging.

Thanks

Dave