Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adsl Up and Down Frequently

MarkC
Grafter

Adsl Up and Down Frequently

Hi,

My ADSL connection keeps dropping and reconnecting. Currently connected to test socket. BT Wholesale test gives the following:

FAQ

null

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

Router stats

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:07:00
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.104
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 357,06 / 844,26
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,9 / 19,8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,0 / 32,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10,0 / 11,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 51 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 20 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1.879 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 27 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 50
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 50 / 9.052

wired connection.

current line speed

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
6.5 Mb

Can someone in customer support monitor my line to see if you can see the disconnections and advise?

Edit - it just dropped again

Router stats

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:19
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 6.944
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 363,13 / 868,77
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10,5 / 19,8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,5 / 31,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11,0 / 7,4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 51 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 24 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1.988 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 239 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 131 / 744
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -31 / 744 / 43.688

Thanks,

Mark

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

61 REPLIES 61
MarkC
Grafter

Re: Adsl Up and Down Frequently

Hi,

Anyone able to bring this to the attention of customer support?

Please?

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your connection.

It's certainly been intermittent as shown below

Our tests aren't showing any cause for this so I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MarkC
Grafter

Matthew,

Thanks for the confirmation - i'll raise a fault now - it shouldn't matter that i'm not there at the moment should it?

edit - actually i do need to be there to do the phone line test - i'll continue with the fault process later when i get home.

Regards,

Mark

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@MarkC Did you get the chance to carry these out last night?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MarkC
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler - I went through the fault process and when I got to the line noise check I said the line was noisy, and the checker pushed me to reporting a phone fault with my supplier (BT). I started that process and during that unplugged the ADSL filter I was using and replaced it with a spare - the line was still noisy. I then connected the phone directly to the test socket (no filter) and the line was quiet again. The BT checker then deduced i had a faulty filter. I went back to the original filter and the line was still quiet Crazy2 I then gave up with the checking process.

The line is currently plugged into the test socket, still using the original filter and stayed up from ~7pm last night until at least 7am this morning (will know better when i get home tonight). Can we see how it goes the next few days - maybe you could give me another list of connections/disconnections on say friday?

Mark

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @MarkC,

I appreciate why you would give up at that point. As the noise on the line is intermittent like the connection, I would recommend progressing to a broadband engineers visit. I'm skeptical that if a phone engineer was to attend they would find a fault and you would be back in the same situation.

I have updated the fault ticket on your account requesting engineer availability, if you wish to monitor the connection until Friday feel free as the question remains open on your account for 14 days before closing.

Let us know when you have replied to the ticket so we can pick it up as soon as possible for you.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
MarkC
Grafter

@Jubby / @MatthewWheeler,

Can you let me know how the connection has looked from your end since ~10:30 Sunday morning?

Thanks,

Mark

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Morning @MarkC 

Hasn't look bad at all since Sunday morning ;

How do you want to proceed with this? 

Let us know if you reply to the fault ticket @Jubby mentioned and we can pick this up.

Fingers crossed things are as steady your end as they are looking from ours?

All the best,

MoR 

MarkC
Grafter

Hi @MasterOfReality - yes it seems to have settled down since the dreadful connectivity Saturday morning. I guess if an engineer came out with a connection like that he wouldn't find anything and i'd just get charged. Lets see if the rain in the area today makes any difference .

MarkC
Grafter

@MasterOfReality - no internal wiring changes but adsl has been up and down multiple times in the last few hours - can you let me have a connection graph from your end and we can see if its worth getting it escalated?

Thanks,

Mark

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @MarkC,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had further issues with the connection. I've tested your line today and raised a ticket concerning this, which can be viewed here.

Please let us know once you've been able to respond to the ticket so we can pick this back up again as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
MarkC
Grafter

Resurrecting this old issue - line has been very stable sine being re-provisioned as ADSL2+ (rather than adsl) in mid december, Today it's been down multiple times and very crackly phone line (according to wife at home). Can someone check in CSC check the line to see what it looks like? No changes in last 2 months and no apparent internal wiring issues.

Thanks,  Mark

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @MarkC

Thanks for getting back in touch - I've tested the line on this one and everything has come back fine - I can see the connection drops though.

I'd recommend getting the router into the test socket as per here and then monitoring over the next 24/48 hours.

If you're also experiencing crackling on the phone its probably worth testing JUST the phone in the test socket to see if this resolves the cracking too.

We're not picking up any phone line related issues, but as we're not the provider of your phone services, it may be worth checking in directly with your phone provider just to ask them to check for any issues to be on the safe side.

If all of that fails, raise a fault here and we'll ask our suppliers to take a look for you.

Best wishes

Dave

MarkC
Grafter

Hi Dave,

I won't be able to replumb into the test socket until i get home this evening. I did a line check with bt (phone supplier) and it came back with no fault found, but obviously something is wrong. Can you give me a connection graph for the last couple of days?

Mark