cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Administrator problem

omnia
Dabbler

Administrator problem

When I try to run an old game (bought many years ago) I get the error message: "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem - C:\Users\Roy\DesktopVICERO~1.PIF  Error Code 0x3.  You do not have sufficient privilige to access this file.  See your system administrator.  Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
On the Properties\Compatibility tab I have tried setting the program to run in compatibility mode for Windows 95, but the Privilege Level tick box to run this program as an administrator is greyed out.
I am the only user of this computer which is running Vista Extreme and as far as I can see, I am logged on with full administrator priviliges.  The program works fine on my other computer running Windows XP.
Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
hulls
Grafter

Re: Administrator problem

Hi
A couple of weeks ago, someone on these forums told me to right click on a program icon and click "run as administrator" to get over a similar problem, and it worked.  You could try that.  Smiley
John
omnia
Dabbler

Re: Administrator problem

Hi Hulls
When I right click on this particular program icon, "run as administrator" is not an option.  I think that this is because it is an MS-DOS program and the file is a .pif file.  I have copied the .exe file onto the desktop which gives me the option "run as administrator", but then I get the error message:  "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem - VICEROY.EXE  This system does not support fullscreen mode.  Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
Hi PJ
UAC is switched off (I switched this off some months ago as some of my software would not start with it on!).
In Control Panel\User Accounts, there is no option to "Manage User Accounts" or "Properties".  The only options to manage anything are Manage your network passwords, Manage your file encryption certificates and Manage another account.  Incidentally, there is only one user account to select, which is me as Administrator.
Sorry, my operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate, not Vista Extreme.