cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a WiFi media player to a home network

BertCoules
Grafter

Re: Adding a WiFi media player to a home network

Just quick follow-up: it occurred to me to try streaming a few video files on my Acer Aspire netbook via the wireless connection to one of my desktop PCs, and comparing the performance with my new Dune media player.  It was a bit of an eye-opener.  Here's a typical result:
A 9.83GB MKV file launched on my netbook in less than four seconds.  On the Dune it took just under twelve minutes.  Same source, same distance.
Bert
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Does the notebook start playing as soon as the buffer is full whereas the Dune waits for the complete file?
David
David
BertCoules
Grafter

That's an interesting question; I don't know.  I'll check and see.
Bert
BertCoules
Grafter

Well, that was an eye-opener: things have changed completely.  Files which yesterday were taking minutes to start playing are this morning coming up in seconds.  The largest I tried, a 9.83GB MKV file, took over half an hour last night (at which point I abandoned the exercise): just now it started up in five seconds.
Spraxyt, it's  exactly as if the Dune was waiting for the buffering to complete yesterday but today is not: but I've changed nothing.  And curiously, last night I tried the TV101's built-in YouTube browser: everything there came up almost at once as well.  The problem, whatever it was, seemed to be only between my PC files and the Dune.
Today, it's like using a different piece of kit.  Which is strange, but pleasing.
Bert
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sounds like the media files are now cached on the Dune and don't need reloading.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BertCoules
Grafter

I wondered about that, but the TV101's built-in file navigation includes a location option labelled Dune which is reported as being empty.  Still, perhaps I'm misreading things.
I'll try adding a new file to one of my desktops and seeing how the Dune performs with that.
Thanks for the thought.
Bert