cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Range Extender to Router Wireless network

frangellica

Add Range Extender to Router Wireless network

Hi there,
I am trying to add a NETGEAR range extender to my Thomson Router (TG585v8), so that my wireless signal for upstair is stronger. How do I do that in Thomson Gateway internet pages?
Many thanks
Robert
4 REPLIES 4
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Add Range Extender to Router Wireless network

If it's a wireless extender then it's set up using a "wizard" accessed through the Net gear device, not the router.
I've recently set up two of them. The instructions included with the device explain it quite clearly.
frangellica

Hi thanks for your reply,
Yes the Universal WiFi Range extender comes with clear instructions, but they don't seem to work. It talks of a PC (Personal computer) I assume this includes a MAC which is what I'm using. Anyway, I cannot access the extender SSID as the link they supply doesn't exist when entered into a browser www.mywifiext.net
So as easy as it may be I can't access the wizard. Any ideas?
cheers
Robert
frangellica

Hi all,
I've sorted it. it's amazing how stupid you feel when you don't have the correct info in front of you. So…
I contacted Plusnet. Spent 1/2 hour on the phone and eventually hung up as they didn't have enough staff to answer the phone. Very disappointed !!
Looking through the instructions supplied with the NETGEAR universal Wifi Range Extender (WN3000RP) there is really only a link to www.mywifiext.net.
You need to add the extender through the internet page wizard accessed from www.mywifiext.net. Problem is, that site no longer exists. Then I noticed in the image of the instructions something called NETGEARgenie, so I searched for that.
You will find a PC, and MAC version of an application created by NETGEAR for managing your networks. Install the genie and enter all your info to connect successfully to your existing router.
Well done NETGEAR… NOT!! sending me a good product but dysfunctional paper information!!
Plusnet - get more staff too.
Enjoy
Robert
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Glad you got it sorted Robert. Smiley
Mine are WN1000RP, the basic model. Genie - that's what I was trying to remember!
I use a p.c. but found that after plugging the device in to the mains, and allowing it to boot up, it showed up on my list of available wireless connections. After clicking connect the log in appeared (admin, password) and the set up appeared with the "genie" as the first option. It was just a matter of following the on screen instructions.
I tried the WPS feature first, it didn't work. So after a reset I used the manual set up. I did contact Netgear tech. support, by e-mail, about the WPS and they answered almost immediately to try and explain why it didn't work. Something had to be unticked in the advanced set up which isn't explained in the instructions. So if it's necessary to access the set up first it might as well be done manually anyway! Undecided