Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adam, you have several PMs :)

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Adam, you have several PMs :)

Hi Gyre,
It was stuck at 12dB, so I had it set at 9dB as you asked for. I can have it set to 6 though. I'll get onto that at some stage today.
Jojo Smiley
gyre
Grafter

Thanks Jojo.
It's currently bullet-proof and rock-solid at 9dB syncing at just under 2700kbps.  I think at 6dB I'd get the magic 2848kbps regularly enough to keep me in the 2.5mbit/s BT bras profile.  Which would be pretty excellent... for my location at least, where 1mbit/s is fairly standard.  Smiley
If, in the worst case, the line becomes unusable and unstable, then I'd settle for 9dB, but, unless we try, we don't know Smiley
-- gyre --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gyre,
I have this on my 'to do' list before lunch today.
Jojo Smiley
gyre
Grafter

Awesome Smiley
-- gyre --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gyre,
I've now had it fixed to 6dB on the downstream. You should see an increase in your sync rate with that.
Jojo Smiley
gyre
Grafter

Yup, syncing at 3232kbps most of the time.  Thanks.
Do you think it is worth sticking in an upper band at 2848kbps, since anything over that is wasted on the line?
-- gyre --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gyre,
I'm not sure what to think at the moment as although you're getting a higher sync, there's now an awful lot of errors on the line. It may be that 9dB was best after all.
Jojo Smiley
gyre
Grafter

There was a high error rate when the change happened.  Didn't help I unplugged and restarted the router a few times too Smiley  I'm such a meddler Smiley
However, and unexplicably, the error rate has started to drop dramatically over the last 15 mins, so I'm fairly optimistic.  I mean, it was running very happily for a couple of days at around 2700kbps with minimal errors.
The reason for suggesting the 2848 banding (if my understanding is correct) was that it would then only sync at the speed needed to get a 2.5mbit profile, and the error rate should then be correspondingly less.
Thanks.
-- gyre --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gyre,
It can't be banded to 2848, it would have to be  1472Kbps - 3072Kbps and as your sync rate is not much above that I'm not sure whether this would make much difference.
Jojo Smiley
gyre
Grafter

Hi Jojo.
3072 is fine too, to be honest.  It's syncing 300+ higher than that at the moment, with the corresponding increase in errors.  If it's no hassle, could we try that?  Smiley
-- gyre (royal pain) --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gyre,
would you mind if we just see how it goes on this for a bit? If it causes issues with your connection then I would look at changing it. It's not a simple process, you see.
Jojo Smiley
gyre
Grafter

Ah, OK.  No worries at all.  I'd naively assumed it was a single click on a web page.  Smiley
This is currently fine as it is.  I'll see if it survives a few nights Smiley
... and thanks for your help so far.  Great to see just how responsive you folks are compared to other ISPs I've used.
-- gyre --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gyre,
Naive and meddling! My favourite combination Wink  I really wish it was just a click. Glad you're liking the support; we aim to please.
Jojo Smiley
gyre
Grafter

Seems to be holding on very good at 6dB.  Thanks Jojo.
-- gyre --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good to hear,. Hope it keeps up.