Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation time

tjd
Grafter

Re: Activation time

I don't think so, it's like this
My front door, socket inside hallway, then the line comes through to the living room and it's that socket where it's plugged in. I don't think it will reach the socket at the front door though  Undecided
Edit: I put the router in the hallway to try and couldn't even get it to synch, also if it did sync i doubt it'd reach the pc and it'd mean having to thread a cable under the living room door.
It also means i'd have a cable behind the front door  "From the master socket to the only place i could put the router at the bottom of the stairs."
Question is, do i have to use the first socket in the house or can i use the one in the living room?
Could be a bit of a pain trying to find a solution to this if i have to use first socket in the house ^^
Thanks again
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Oh Dear not good.
1)Have you any phones on this system?
2) you mentioned filters, there should not be any filter on the line to the router, the supplied filters have two sockets, one for a phone and one for a router.  The router must not pass through the phone side of the filter.
3) your first post  to say the least alarmed me in your description
4) it could work if you have a good line, but it is no where ideal

Sorry
tjd
Grafter

Thanks for the replies people.. There's 2 sockets in the house, one at the front door and one in the living room. I've put a microfilter in both, and the router is plugged into the microfilter, "of the socket in the living room."
There's nothing except a microfilter in each socket, and the wire connecting the DSL part of the microfilter to the DSL socket of the router.
Pretty puzzled and couldn't get it to sync when i was testing it in the master socket so i can only presume as orbrey said that it's not completed yet.
Really hope it doesn't need to be in the master socket  Undecided
Thanks again for the help
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It depends where the phone line comes into the house though it sounds like it might be the hallway. Most routers can be wall mounted (inside a cupboard maybe?), and you can get longer network (ethernet) cables to go between the router and the PC from any local PC shop, it shouldn't cost more than £10 - £20 for a 10 or 20 metre cable respectively. Alternatively you could use the wireless connection if it's a wireless router.
Apologies if I've missed the point here, I assume it's the connection between the router and the PC that's not long enough?
markrach
Grafter

Home plugs would also be a good idea if cable is the problem as wireless is a bit poop  Undecided
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5326
Cuts out all that ugly wiring and i think so people have said they put a couple of ms on latency but if your not a gamer that shouldn't be a issue
Mark
tjd
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Apologies if I've missed the point here, I assume it's the connection between the router and the PC that's not long enough?

Yeah, if i had to set it up in hallway then it wouldn't reach the pc in the living room ><
i suppose i could connect the pc via wireless if has to be in master socket but i would REALLY prefer not to have the cables in the hallway.
Also, i have no idea what i do with BroadbandBuyer PL-85PE Homeplug 85Mbps Ethernet Starter Kit,, ><
Thanks as always for the help
Tj
Edited for typo/s
markrach
Grafter

If you have a power socket by you master socket in the hallway you place you router there ,RJ45 cable connects your router to the homeplug , the homeplug connects to any normal wall power socket, you pop the other homeplug into a power socket near your pc and connect the homeplug to the pc with a normal RJ45 cable , there is a little configuring i belive you need to do but the homeplug transmits the BB signal via you home electrical wiring , very good imho as no ugly wires like i have
tjd
Grafter

Wow, never seen anything of the sort before now 😮 Will look into it as long as it's not retardedly expensive.. And if putting it at front door becomes my last option Wink
Can't get it to sync in living room or front hallway at all this morning so i just hope it's down to the work not being finished and not a fault.
Is there anyway you can check if BT have finished the work at my exchange yet?
Edit: got it to sync in master socket and connected a laptop to see if the sync speed was any different.

Uptime: 0 days, 0:14:39

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 160

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 2.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 13.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 53.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 2.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 6,990

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
Virtually the same so i think it's a case of waiting to see if speed improves.
Thanks again guys. Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

to get a better speed, you will have to have your router switched on for about 10 days, no need for the PC to be on, just the router,and when the want to move it, switch the router of and leave for a couple of minutes before taking the power plug out.  Dont unplug to many times as that will reduce your speed.  after about three days, some say to disconnect the router once a day to get it to resynch, best between  2 hours after sunrise to 2 hours before sunset
itsme
Grafter

Sorry for being a bearer of bad news but with a download spead of 160kbps and a SNRM of 2dB I believe you have big problems  I would advise to go here go through the check list and if this does not improve the situation to raise a broadband fault. I assume that you have internet access when the modem is in sync?
zubel
Community Veteran

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 160

There 'aint no improving that by waiting - this is a classic symptom of internal wiring faults.
160Kbps downstream is the 'absolute minimum' sync.  Even on a very long and noisy line you should get AT LEAST 512Kbs.
Does your master socket have a removable split-faceplate?  If so, remove the bottom half and plug the router back into the test socket and see what it syncs like there. 

B.
EDIT:  Added pic of Master test socket
tjd
Grafter

It has a removable plate like the one in the picture , think i'll have to unscrew it.. I'll try it now.
Also yes i have access to the internet when browsing.. I think if it is down to fault wiring it's the BT engineers fault as instead of a complete new line he "botched" the job so to speak and just reattached the old line where it came into the house with a new extension to the sockets etc.
Anyways will see if there's any improvement by using master socket.
Thanks again
Tj
Edit: I removed the faceplate off the master socket, put a microfilter in the test socket and connected the router to it....I couldn't even get it to sync.
I can only hope that it's because it's because the work in the exchange isn't fully completed because i don't want to have to pay BT 120£ to fix a problem that "if it is a wiring fault," they caused.
Edit 2: When it does sync, pings are fine, all below 60ms.. Hope this helps
tjd
Grafter

Managed to get it to sync again in the living room and snyc speeds have slightly increased.
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 640 
"If" i can get it to sync on test socket i'll try on there as well.
Edit: After posting this lost sync again  Cheesy Will just wait until tomorrow after 12pm to see if it's ok then.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Given that the sync seems better in the living room it might be that that is where the line comes in - only a thought though. It depends which socket has the test socket you've been trying. If both do things could get interesting...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If both sockets have removable lower halves, remove them both. Then just with an ordinary phone check which of the test sockets have a dial tone.
If only the one in the hallway has a removable lower half, remove that and check for dial tone in the test socket and the other socket.
Hopefully it will only the one in the hallway that works when the lower half(s) are removed, otherwise as Matt says it will get interesting!
Can you also tell us if there are wires connected to the back of the removable lower half please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)