Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing port 25

infobleep
Grafter

Accessing port 25

Hi there
I have a Plusnet business broadband which comes with a static IP address. I am trying to set up my own e-mail server. I have entered various in port forwarding numbers into the router, however I cannot send or receive any e-mails from my server.
I have done a check on http://www.canyouseeme.org/.
What this shows is that port 25 is blocked. It also shows that some of the other ports I set up are blocked but others are not. For example 5019 is blocked but 7001 is not. I have set up quite a few other port forwards and they all point to the same MAC address, bar two and those two are not the ones I have been testing.
Can anyone please tell me what I might be doing wrong?
For reference I am using the Technicolor TG582n router.
Kind regards
17 REPLIES 17
waterend

Re: Accessing port 25

You need to open up the PN firewall to permit the ports for 143 (IMAP), 110 (POP). However using port 25 for SMTP can be tricky so you may have to use port 587 (of course you'll have to connect to it with authentication...)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@infobleep - check what your Plusnet Broadband Firewall is set to ?
Try switching it "Off" to see whether http://CanYouSeeMe.org then sees port 25.
If successful, then try setting the firewall to the most appropriate setting (such as "Block common ports except SMTP") and try again.
When changing the Plusnet firewall, remember to reboot your connection in order for the new settings to be applied.
infobleep
Grafter

Thanks for your replies. I'd not thought of checking the broadband firewall. I didn't have so many options with my last router from memory.
I will report back what happens. I've already got the ports open for port 110; 143 etc.
I'm setting up my own e-mail server and as all e-mail servers talk to one another through port 25 I can't use any other port for the task.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I'm not sure by your reply whether you understood what the PlusNet Broadband Firewall is... It is not on your router but is a firewall that Plusnet put on your broadband line at their end. It is found under connection settings on your Plusnet member centre menu.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Login to member centre and check here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
infobleep
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
Your quite right I did not understand that. I was unaware Plusnet had their own firewall on top of my one. I've not look through the members centre in any great detail yet.
To  be fair to me, I wasn't sent any documentation about this or even alerted to the fact they have their own firewall. I think Plusnet should send out some simple documentation, even if it's just via e-mail. Perhaps they expect users to either ask questions on here or find out through their own investigation.
Makes me wonder what else exists that Plusnet offer that I'm unaware off. Time to do some more research into this.
infobleep
Grafter

Looks like I'm going to have to have another moan at Plusnet. It states on their Web site that a static IP address is available. Why they don't say is that it costs extra. I think that is totally misleading. If they are not interested I may be tempted to complain elsewhere.
Basically I have a dynamic IP address. It says it in the tool tips when you hover over but even if it does, it does give the impression that a static IP address is free. If anyone thinks I am being unfair then please post here to explain why I should have known this. I do not remember come across any option to allow me to buy a static IP address when I signed up. According to the members centre it costs £5 to buy a static ip address. I'm not too happy about this. It should have been made clear and offered as an extra option when I signed up. I may have even taken them up on the offer.
I will find out whether Plusnet care tomorrow. Unfortunately due to BT mistakes at the exchange I am over my 7 day cooling off period. How convienant, not that BT engineers did this on purpose. It's just a coincident. The whole point of paying extra for a business line was to get a static IP address but I find I have a dynamic one.
O2 offered a static IP address when I signed up to them and they offered it as an optional extra when I signed up. £5 more a month for it. So O2 weren't being misleading. Now I didn't need a static IP address then but I do now.
The fact no one else on here has said I may not have a static IP address shows perhaps the lack of awareness.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There isn't a charge on business products but you have to request it once the account is live http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml
infobleep
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. Well according to my members centre page there is a one off £5 setup fee,  To be fair I was so annoyed that I didn't see that it was a one off fee rather than a monthly on going fee.
If there is no a setup fee when does my members centre page say their is?
I'm not actually a business. I just wanted a static ip address to run my own mail server. Anyway this is the message I received when I added it:
"Static IP has been added to your account
The setup charge of £5.00 will be added to your next monthly bill.
Your Static IP is available to use straight away. Please restart your modem/router to make sure that you're connecting with your new static IP address.
View your static ip? View or choose more Add-Ons "
Of course it may turn up that I could have got a static IP address on a residential product for a one off £5 fee but it didn't list static ip addresses in the package details page for residential options so I choose the business line. I do appreciate the separate business support line.
The page you list clearly gives the impress that business customers get a static IP address for free. yet I was able to pay the £5 setup fee in order to get a static IP address. Clearly Plusnet are confusing the customer's. Not good given business customers pay more. Plus net had good reviews which is why I decided to join them. I'm beginning to wonder if Plusnet are so good, how bad is the competition?
My experience of Plusnet so far has been of poor communication in terms of what they explain to their cusromers. I can't comment yet on the service itself because I've not used it for long enough. However I have high hopes for it given it has had such good reviews.
Kind regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That sounds like either a screw up or the information I linked to is wrong  Sad
infobleep
Grafter

I will have to speak with Plusnet tomorrow.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You could always ring them this evening - don't forget to use the Business Number    0800 028 0282 or    0300 123 6123 - they are available 24/7
infobleep
Grafter

The business support is only open from 8am to 8pm. I guess they assume business customers don't need any support after that. To be fair it is available after that but you get put through to residential and last time I did that I was on hold for 25 minutes only to be told they can't view my account because it's a business account.
To make this situation more interesting. I followed their advise of turn my router on a off. In doing so I get a message about activation my static ip address when I went to the connection settings of my account.
If I was to be charged, I wouldn't be charged until my next bill is issued.
The static ip address I have now been given is different to the one they gave me when I accepted the £5 charge.
Even doing this I still can't get access to port 25. My broadband firewall in my Plusnet account is off. Still getting a message saying it's not available. Have to ring the business support tomorrow to enquire. I thought joining Plusnet Business would be easy. I was wrong.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I guess they assume business customers don't need any support after that.

We definitely don't Smiley our residential support team are there to deal with any immediate queries outside of business support hours.
Even doing this I still can't get access to port 25. My broadband firewall in my Plusnet account is off. Still getting a message saying it's not available. Have to ring the business support tomorrow to enquire. I thought joining Plusnet Business would be easy. I was wrong.

Really sorry about the issues you've had, it's unforeseen from our point of view, I can see you've called in since and spoken to the business support team who have given some advice on this.
I hope to see that get sorted soon.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team