cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AccessRunner DSL and Modems

Tatterdemalion

AccessRunner DSL and Modems

I usually connect to PlusNet using the USB ADSL modem that they supplied me. It comes with drivers that allow you to access a ConexantAccessRunnerADSL panel. Its "Connect to" box normally displays my PlusNet User Name.
Last night, having connected as normal and opened three Internet Explorer 6 browser windows, the "Connect to" box appeared on my screen. This is what routinely happens when my broadband connection is lost and so I thought that that was what had happened and that I should click to get back online.
I clicked hastily without noticing that the "Connect to" box was not referring to my ADSL modem and PLusNet account but was instead pointing at my internal modem with "internetaccess" in the User Name box and an 0844 number.
This action seems to have scrambled my ability to access the internet using the affected PC and I would like to know how I can best go about being able to do that again.
I would like to know if my situation is symptomatic of some malicious code having been sent to my machine necessitating my keeping the PC switched on so that nothing is altered in my Registry or if it is possible that it is a simple hardware/software glitch that a re-boot might, in fact, cure.
I wonder if I could solve the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the modem.
I would be grateful for any advice...
3 REPLIES 3
MickKi
Grafter

Re: AccessRunner DSL and Modems

Have you tried re-installing the modem drivers on your PC and then run an anti-malware check on it.
Alternatively, see if you can connect to it using an ethernet patch cable with an RJ45 connector on it (not familiar with your modem I'm afraid).
Hope this helps.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Also go to IE Properties > Connection Settings and check what is set there. Remove any connections that shouldn't be there. Definitely run AV and anti-spyware programs and make sure your PN Firewall is on.
Once everything is back to normal change your password as a precaution and don't do anything that needs good security in the meantime until you are happy all is OK.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
You'll have to forgive me as I haven't looked at a Conexant modem in *years* but do you have an AccessRunnerDSL control panel anywhere?
Also, if you go to your Internet Options control panel and select the Connection tab, you should be able to tell it which connection to use by default (you should also be able to do this in the Network connections control panel.
Let me know how you get on?