Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access slow, ADSL ok?

FIXED
sandwithbells
Grafter

Access slow, ADSL ok?

Hi,

We always used to get 3Mb on our connection but lately have noticed it slow and so ran a speedtest which came back at 2Mb. So check phone & back to the master socket with the router. Unchanged.

Running the BT Wholesale test reports:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 2 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.09 Mbps

Checking the router gives:

DSL Type:    G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    1,009 / 3,502
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:    0.00 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    29.5 / 52.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    7.0 / 9.5

Am I right in understanding that the issue therefore lies upstream of my ADSL connection as my reading is that the router is happily connecting at 3.5Mb profiled to 3.09Mb?

Thanks

Alistair

7 REPLIES 7
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Access slow, ADSL ok?

Hi @sandwithbells,

Having reviewed your account today, I can see that the speeds you're receiving are within the estimated range for your line, that range being 1Mbps to 3.5Mbps. From what you've posted, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary and I can't see any faults with your service upon testing the line, so it may just be a case of the speed fluctuating. It's important to note that this is to be expected from time to time and there's nothing we can realistically do to counteract it, but I'd recommend connecting via an Ethernet cable where possible to ensure you're getting the most stable and consistent speeds from your router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
sandwithbells
Grafter

Thanks for the reply AJ,

So with regard to my query, I am correct in understanding that there is nothing wrong with the line and it is correctly operating at the ~3Mb rate that we have had for the last few years. However there is another constraint somewhere that is causing my access to BTW's network and out to the internet to only be 2Mb. This other constraint is unknown.

Can I just check that you are saying that this 50% drop in service is to be expected? How long does it need to go on for before being considered a problem given the history of 3Mb?

I thought the estimated range related basically to the ADSL component due to the vagaries inherent in the telephone line wiring and distance. Our ADSL is happily operating at 3Mb towards the upper end of the range but well within it. You are suggesting that the estimated range actually relates to the entire connection, is that correct?

Just to clarify regarding your point on wired Ethernet. Testing with the router on an extension and using WiFi gave the same speed test results as the router plugged into the base of the master socket and using an Ethernet cable where it is now whilst the issue is investigated.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @sandwithbells,

To clarify, the current speeds that you're receiving wouldn't be considered to be below the level of acceptable service. If you look at it from the perspective of how much speed has been lost by percentage, then it will seem like a bigger drop than it is and though I can certainly understand your frustration surrounding this, it's again important to consider the estimated speed range and technology in use on your line doesn't allow for massively high speeds, or at least not on ADSL.

With that having being said, I'm not saying that we wouldn't expect the speed to improve again over time, or even that there is nothing to be done right now that might help the speed stay towards the higher ends of your estimated speed range - just that at the moment we wouldn't consider this a fault and wouldn't look to investigate via an engineer visit. Just on that point, if the speed fell below the estimated range for your line (whilst the router is plugged into the master/test socket and the devices are connected via Ethernet cable) we would consider it to be a fault and would progress down the fault investigation route.

On the last paragraph in your post, is the speed when connecting via Wi-Fi and Ethernet currently at 2Mbps or is it back to the usual 3Mbps?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
sandwithbells
Grafter

In regard to the last paragraph:

Router plugged into telephone extension downstairs, computer connected via WiFi  -  Speedtest 2Mb

Router plugged into base of master socket upstairs, computer connected via Ethernet cable  - Speedtest also 2Mb

Previously with the router on the extension and using WiFi the speedtest results were 3Mb

The router is still connecting at 3.5 Mb throughout which I have taken to understand that there is no problem with the ADSL and I agree no point in an engineers visit to look at my line. The most challenging bit of technology, the ADSL connection, is performing very well at 3.5Mb the upper end of expectations.

The question is - What is causing the connection to be throttled to 2Mb since it appears to be in BTW/PlusNet land somewhere beyond my ADSL?

Thanks

Alistair

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @sandwithbells,

Thanks for confirming this. I've reviewed the account again and I've made some changes now which will hopefully boost the speed back up to 3Mbps. It should take affect in the next hour or so and if it doesn't please reboot the router to see if it takes affect then.

Please let us know if this works or not and we'll be happy to pick this back up for further review.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
sandwithbells
Grafter

Thanks @TheMightyAJ

that seems to be an improvement 2.88Mb when I checked, what was the problem in case it happens again?

Only slight issue is that now I've put the wiring back together I'm getting a lower ADSL speed but that one is for me to solve!

Cheers,

Alistair

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi Alistair

It looks like Alex increased the connection profile on your account as it was stuck at a previous, slower sync rate which would've been restricting your throughput/download speeds.

Testing your line now is showing your sync speeds slightly lower than yesterday below 3mbps and the SNR margin at 13dB. I assume that may be caused by the wiring issue you've mentioned?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet