cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal speeds

Shepherds1

Abysmal speeds

Shockingly terrible 448kbps download speed.

No support available.
8 REPLIES 8
markliles

Re: Abysmal speeds

Same here 0.2Mbps Download speed. 

No phone support available and started around 20:30 today. This also happened last week. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

To help, if you have a corded landline can you test if there is any noise on the line?

Master socket removing everything else would be best, and test socket would be even better.

Also try making test phone calls, or dialling 17070 and trying an option 2 quiet line test.

markliles

Thanks Alex, I've found an old wired phone handset. I've connected directly into the master socket. I have a dialing tone and I can make outbound and inbound calls without any interuptions on the line. I have also called 17070 option 2 as you sugguested, this line is silent but every 10seconds or so says 'quiet line test'. So I'm guessing that's all good too.

Only other information to add is I moved house 3 weeks ago and internet has been on/off since then. Maybe an issue at exchange or my street? Still no Plusnet tech support available today so any further advice is appreciated.
Shepherds1

Tried the quiet line test - all good.

Still terrible speeds.

This is impacting on my work.
JonnyCalcutta

I'm in the same boat. To be honest, I'm going to test using 4G and then cancel Plus Net (although how I'm going to manage to cancel is another question). I'll certainly be looking for a refund from the start of April.

Its pretty clear this is caused by contention rates and Plus Net not applying any form of QoS to make sure everyone at least gets the minimum guaranteed speed. Otherwise its a weird coincidence that it started when work and schools all stopped.

We're on an exchange-only broadband line, so are already second class customers.

Shepherds1

I wish I could get 4G - no mobile signal at all round here.

Speeds are even worse- had my work IT look into it & there’s just no bandwidth. Can’t send/receive anything & the way this is going I’ll be lucky to be in a job next week!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for people doing the quiet line test - it just rules out noise on your line of course.

The best course of action is for people to raise speed faults, not an ideal time for it to happen when working from home is important. Depends on engineer availability at the moment.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @Shepherds1

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the speed of your service and I apologise for the frustration caused. 

I've checked over your line just now and have made some changes to the settings that should allow the speed to reach your estimates - it can take 24 hours for the changes to complete. If you still notice the speeds below esitmates after this time please get back in touch here. 

@markliles,

I'm sorry you've had some trouble with your speeds since your recent house move, I can see you got in touch with us over the phone and our tech team have left some troubleshooting steps to follow here. If you're still having trouble please get back in touch here. 

@JonnyCalcutta,

Sorry to read you're having trouble with your speed resulting you wishing to move providers. On checkin g your service this afternoon you are currently in sync at 13.mbps which at the top end of your estimates. Are you noticing the deterioration in speeds over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless I'd suggest going ahead and performing a wired speed test while in the test socket so we can make sure you are getting those speeds. 

Thanks.