cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About markers on the line...

suec45
Grafter

About markers on the line...

OK, I am tearing my hair out here.  I am a computer technician, I recommended Plusnet to one of my customers who recently moved into the pub in the village.  All seemed to go OK on the day we signed up (bank holiday monday), but now we have been told that there was a marker on the line and Plusnet could do nothing until it was taken off.
I rang BT and they told me it was definitely Plusnets job to get the marker off!
I have been back and forth 4 times now and am getting annoyed, I have to wait 10 mins eahc time I phone.
Can anyone tell me exactly whose job it is to get the marker taken off the line? 
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: This is getting ridiculous...about markers on the line...

Whoever owns the marker I believe. And good luck finding that out!
A client of mine got stuck in this loop for weeks once. It was very difficult indeed to find out what was going on due to BT's "rules". In his case it turned out that AOL had somehow reinstated a marker on his line even though he'd moved to Orange. Part of the problem was that he had continued to pay AOL unwittingly thinking it was for just retaining his email.
In the end he had to get AOL to sort it out; Orange and BT were pretty powerless.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

From OFCOM's website
[quote="OFCOM Website"]
Pre-existing broadband service the Tag may also exist because the line is already carrying a live broadband service (possibly because the previous occupant has failed to cancel their service, or if they did, their supplier may have omitted to cease the service). In this situation your new supplier can tell you the name and contact details of the previous supplier. To remove the service from your line, you should contact the previous supplier and advise them to terminate the previous service. You may need to provide evidence that you are the new owner of the voice line (e.g. copy of latest phone or utility service bill).
Existing Broadband Service the most common Tag is a broadband service which has been provided since the telephone line was activated. This could be due to someone else in your household ordering broadband without your knowledge, or it could be where you’ve moved into a property that has broadband already set up. Again, the new ISP can advise who the current provider is for you to contact them.

Hope this helps.
Roger.
EDIT:
just found some additional information that might be of use.
BT Wholesale is not usually a customer facing division within BT; however, Ofcom has agreed a process with them so that customers like yourself can speak directly with them.
Currently BT wholesale is a very busy department and you may experience some waiting time in getting through to them.
BT Wholesale
Tel: 0800 169 0934
Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm
Saturday – 8am – 12pm
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Could you PM me the username or telephone number in question?
I'd be more than happy to look into it for you.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hiya,
I've just had a look and basically the line is still in the name of the previous occupants. If the new occupants had taken it over and the tag was still present that is an error on BTs part and we can get it removed, but unfortunately as the line hasn't been transferred yet we are unable to remove this.
If your friends call BT and have the line cancelled or moved to their name this should remove the tag and leave us free to provide the service.
Hope that helps,
suec45
Grafter

Thanks Roger, that helped a lot, BT gave me a MAC code and all seems OK now Smiley
Apparantly Plusnet phoned BT for me earlier, why they couldnt work this out between themselves I dunno!
Anyway, very happy its sorrted now, thanks!
suec45
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Hiya,
I've just had a look and basically the line is still in the name of the previous occupants. If the new occupants had taken it over and the tag was still present that is an error on BTs part and we can get it removed, but unfortunately as the line hasn't been transferred yet we are unable to remove this.
If your friends call BT and have the line cancelled or moved to their name this should remove the tag and leave us free to provide the service.
Hope that helps,

thanks for your reply Smiley
Rogers post made me think there was already a BB account on teh line, so I got a MAC from BT and gave it to one of the guys on Support, he said it should all be fine now, what do you think?

Should it all be sorted now?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If we have a MAC code yeah, we'll be able to migrate the service in. This should be a bit quicker than a new provide too. Consider it sorted.
Please let us know if there's anything further we can do,
suec45
Grafter

Re: About markers on the line...

Thanks Orbrey thats great Smiley
suec45
Grafter

Thanks for the offer to look into it James, but I am assured everything should be OK now I have a MAC key from BT.
I can pm you the details anyway if you have a spare minute to look at at, but if you think everything is OK then dont bother.
Thanks all!
James
Grafter

Re: About markers on the line...

All sounds good Smiley