cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AWFUL broadband again :(

FarmerGilesUK
Hooked

AWFUL broadband again :(

Back in March all of a sudden, my slow but usually reliable broadband, started to play up badly, lots of resets, slow etc.  After a whole lot of line tests etc which showed no fault, BT visited and after talking to their support desk, discovered that my connection had been migrated a few weeks previously from 20CN to 21CN.  

BT's support desk told the engineer that whilst 21CN should give customers better speeds, it is not so tolerant of bad/long lines.

The engineer also discovered that interleaving had only been switched ON in one direction, so they changed that and also increased the target SNR as the circuit which on 20CN used to sync at approx 1.6-1.8mbps, was trying on 21CN to sync at 3.0mbps which was never going to work on a long line like ours.

He asked me to monitor the situation but did say that if my broadband was still unreliable I should request that Plusnet raise an order with BT to migrate the line BACK to 20CN service.

Its been a couple of months now and although some of the time the line works reasonably, overall the circuit is very poor compared to how it used to be on 20CN - Although a BT Wholesale Speed Test shows an improvement of 400kbps, I now have a very high error rate, yesterday for example 30 million FEC errors - on 20CN 5-20 thousand per day was the norm - This results in unusable Skype, Youtube (streaming services etc).

So, please could Plusnet raise this order with BT so that I can have reliable broadband again?

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: AWFUL broadband again :(

Hi FarmerGilesUK,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us through our community forums regarding this issue. I have looked into this for you and ran tests on your connection.

You can find my findings and my resolution through the ticket I have raised to you here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=129863902

Once the change is complete please monitor your connection and let us know how you get on.

FarmerGilesUK
Hooked

Hi Ben

That change seems to have happened already.  Only thing is I think interleaving must be OFF as I'm getting CRCs but no FECs.  Please could you check that its ON (in both directions)?

Regards

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah it seems to be going in motion at the moment. From just re-checking this for you I can confirm that interleaving is on in both directions.

FarmerGilesUK
Hooked

Looks better now Ben. Thanks Smiley

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problems and just get in touch if you need any further assistance & we'll be more than happy to help