cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

Not applicable

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

This is curious but honestly, I have tried with the gmail servers and the loopback ones and there is one or other fault. If I don't use loopback it doesn't scan, count and certify incoming messages and  if I do use loopback it won't send.
Regarding debris, the only thing I can say is that I use CCleaner every day but I have not been brave enough to use the registry cleaner yet. 
At least it is working now and it doesn't really matter about using AVG for outgoing mail because it isn't set to scan outgoing emails anyway. The main thing is that the incoming emails are being correctly scanned, numbered and certified.
Thank you for your interest and input (I'd love to know why yours is OK and mine not) - however, I have learnt a bit more about computers from this episode.
God
Grafter

Quote from: ste
Quote from: nadger
Quote from: ste
I prefer avast to this. avg free doesn't have a web shield, whereas avast does.

Again this does exist in the professional version of AVG 8.0 - be interesting to see how much they'll try to charge me on 1st December.

but not in the free version.

I would steer clear of Avast at the moment. Over the last few weeks I have been to two PCs running fully up to date copies of Avast and both had viruses. They were both cleaned up in one sweep with Kaspersky.
craig_p
Grafter

Oh GOD
Thats great. Just installed avast from their site and now internet explorer will not load up fully. MSN works fine as does rest of comp.The daughter is not too happy.  >:(Any ideas..
Not applicable

I tried Avast again yesterday but from Download.com. I confess not to having loaded IE because I don't use it. However, Firefox was certainly OK. From what I could see there is something called a webshield and I wondered if it was due to a configuration problem with this.  However, I uninstalled it and went back to AVG8.  Hopefully, Gary will be along and give you advice as he is a great fan of Avast and is bound to know.
ste
Grafter

hmm, looks like you all have dodgy pc's.
avast running great here  Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: poppy
[snip]  Hopefully, Gary will be along and give you advice as he is a great fan of Avast and is bound to know.

Hmm me a great fan of Avast, No but AVG is to bloated, AVG v8 will only run on Windos XP or Vista.  Cry
From Avast ReadMe
System requirements:
======================================================
For a computer with Windows 95/98/Me:
PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard disk space
For a computer with Windows NT 4.0:
PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard disk space, Service Pack 3 or higher installed
For a computer with Windows 2000/XP:
PC Pentium, 64 MB RAM (128 MB recommended), 50 MB of free hard disk space
For a computer with Windows Vista:
PC Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard disk space
(The program itself requires 20 MB, the rest is reserved for the virus recovery database file and its index. [VRDB, also known as the "integrity database" from the previous version])
- A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for the program to work.
======================================================
Heloman
Grafter

I ran AVG for about seven years from the day it was born. It then went through a terrible period when the updates didn't work properly and I switched to Avast!  I was an immediate fan. It never let me down, had much more regular up-dates and I love it.
Don't often need to rely on it now tho', because my main OS is Linux..
Not applicable

Just referring back to a problem that I have had in respect of sending e-mails using WM/OE using gmail with AVG8.  I have posted on the AVG Forum, fiddled about and had no success.  Finally I had another look at the AVG 7.5 E-mail scanner thread/sticky on the AVG Forum to discover that you can use port 587 for smtp as well as the one prescribed by gmail which is 465. (You clever computer chaps no doubt know this but I didn't).
I tried port 587 and bingo! - I can now send and receive e-mails in Windows Mail - all certified and counted.
Shame that AVG didn't put this in the FAQ and User Manual!
bobboulby
Grafter

Since I installed v8.0, I've had a couple of Resident Shield alerts on what looks like something to do with Windows Restore (see screen shot). I've ignored them as I'm worried that I might mess something up if I send the file to the Vault. I've tried Googling A0134398.exe but find nothing. Also if I search my computer for this file it isn't found.
Has anyone got a view on whether this is a genuine threat?
Thanks - Bob
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I tried port 587 and bingo! - I can now send and receive e-mails in Windows Mail - all certified and counted.

Hope you put it on the AVG forum..... you will get much respect, and loads of brownie points.... clever clogs ! ! !  Smiley Grin Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Bob,,
Have a look at what type of threat  AVG says it is.....
Potentially harmful program Hacktool.BVU
(also click on the more information below it, just to see what AVG can tell you)
Looks to me like someone is trying to hack into your computer..... you could always create a restore point, then click on Move to Vault.......  run another scan, and see if it is still there.... if any  problems, you can go back to the restore point.....
I have total faith in AVG looking after my computers for the last 10 years, and when it says it is a threat, then I accept that.... I think I have mentioned earlier on, that I have only had 1 or 2 virus attacks that have been found with AVG in that time, and definitely no damage done by virus attacks.

Look carefully at the registry listing it..... it starts off with a lower hyphen before the word restore ......

jmd
Grafter

With all these comments about AVG8 not sure whether to download it as yet.............. do not want to create problems when I have none as yet!
shutter
Community Veteran

jmdlp............ Have faith  Roll_eyes  Download it, say a prayer, then install it..... Smiley
I have not had any problem with it.... .... You can always uninstall it, and go back to 7.5 if you get really bogged down, but I don`t think you will... Wink
Edit:-  I did not download any prayers......
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks for the reply shutter
When I clicked on the "More information about this threat" link the AVG site didn't come up with any information.
I know how to create a restore point but I'm not sure how to carry out the rest of your suggestion. I don't feel confident enough to start messing about in the registry.
By the way, AVG didn't pick this up as a threat on my last scan - I'm only seeing it on Resident Shied.
If I sent it to the vault and it is something to do with system restore what's the worst that can happen?
Bob
shutter
Community Veteran

When you send it to the vault, it is effectively disabled to run whatever it is intended to run, (in this case, I suspect a Hackers request for keylog or other information).... so it will be safe.... You will probably see a strange file listed at the top of your "C:/" drive in windows explorer. this is where the file will be stored....
Forget the registry.... just do the "move to vault" , and I think you will be O.K....
It`s a bit like learning to drive.... you have the instructor (avg) telling you something  (the threat) and you have to take action  (jam on the brakes) then you have to go out and do it all by yourself when you have passed your test ! !
Wink