Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

Quote from: poppy
I tried Avast yesterday (in desperation) but couldn't find the e-mail scanner wizard which should (according to the blurb) have been in Start/All Programmes. Therefore I had to ditch it.  It is certainly a lighter programme and if I had been in a better frame of mind I could have fathomed it probably.  However, do you have any suggestions about where this wizard had hidden itself so that I could have retrieved e-mails in WM (it was just giving error messages).
I still have the setup icon on my computer (downloaded from Download.com).

It is in avast! On-Access Scanner, See Screen Shot.
Not applicable

Got that Gary - thank you. Will print this off and have another go when I have calmed down from the AVG hassle. It is a much less bloated application which has got to be an advantage.
craig_p
Grafter

Huh hi
ive just installed v8.0 on a vista comp and although it installed ok, it wont run. it brings up an error saying failed to start because its side by side config is incorrect. please see application event log for more details..
HELP!!!
Thanks
Craig p
Tony_W
Grafter

Tried a couple of times to schedule a scan while the computer was on on standby. It did not wake the computer up to do the scan.
Tony
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Tony w, and all others interested in "scan times".... I have just installed AVG8.0 FREE, and had no probelms at all. 
Did some initial set ups, scheduled the daily run for 10:00 then set it to do a complete computer scan.  Went to the shops 5 miles away, did some banking, went to the post office, and bought some bread (not from the post office! !) came home 5 miles, and it was still running..... Not worried.... went "online" did some more banking, checked my emails, and sent a couple, still running, final result came in with a "popup" saying the complete scan was finished .... checked the results on the control panel
Total objects scanned  724,000
Time taken                  2hrs 34 mins 13 seconds
Infections                    0
Spyware                      0
Warnings                    52  (these were "cookies" and trackers)
Removed the infections, and then had a cup of tea and my second breakfast ! feeling quite chuffed!..
Sorry for those who have problems, but I well recommend this AVG FREE 8.0
(Just one point, I did do a manual un-install of AVG 7.5 and AVGAS before doing the install, and I am running XP SP2  80 gb hdd 256 mb RAM)
Good luck
Shutter Smiley
Oh just remembered, that while doing the initial scan started by me, the scheduled scan was started, and continued after the initial scan, so it was doing two scans at the same time!
Not applicable

Craig - have not heard of your problem before - have you had a look in the AVG Free Forum? I would think that someone may have had the same thing. The only thing that I can think of is to uninstall, clear temp tiles etc and download again direct from Grisoft.
Presumably you have no other anti-virus running? The other thing is, did you take off 7.5 first? Strictly speaking, it isn't necessary but a full uninstall of everything might do the trick. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
ste
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
Quote from: ste
I prefer avast to this. avg free doesn't have a web shield, whereas avast does.

Again this does exist in the professional version of AVG 8.0 - be interesting to see how much they'll try to charge me on 1st December.

but not in the free version.
Not applicable

Has anyone yet configured the e-mail scanner on V8 to SSL (i.e. Googlemail?).
I am helping my friend out with this (she uses Sky) and I have followed the advice from FAQ religiously but with no joy.
Within OE the servers are 127.0.0.1 (as advised), ports 5100 for pop and 5200 for smtp (both unsecured as advised).
Within AVG the pop settings are fixed host pop.gmail.com:995  with the local port to match OE i.e. 5100.
SMTP is set to fixed smtp.gmail.com:465 with port 5200. Both have SSL activated.  I have been able to send and receive e-mails but the scanner counter/certification text is not functional. I just wondered if there was somebody who had tried this and succeeded, particularly as Gmail is so popular.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

My Gmail works fine though I'm using Outlook 2003 not OE.
Didn't have to change a thing from standard gmail recommended settings:
servers: pop.gmail.com & smtp.gmail.com
Incoming SSL port 995 Outgoing SSL port 465
That's all!
Not applicable

I have had it sending and receiving although it didn't certify or count. When I make changes according to FAQ to enable this it won't send or receive at all and displays an error message: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'gmail', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 5100, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F.
Are your secure ports 995/465 configured in the scanner itself or in the Outlook setting? The advice that I gleaned was as above.
craig_p
Grafter

poppy- thanks for the info. i have not yet had chance to look at the forums yet but will when time allows.  I did un install 7.5 first and there was no other A V running at the time. I even disabled windows defender and downloaded the 8.0 from the main site but with no luck.  Will keep trying and let you know
Craig p Huh
Not applicable

Please could someone help with a secure a-mail connection (gmail) with AVG 8?
I have now managed to receive e-mails from gmail and they are certified and counted. AVG is therefore communicating with the gmail servers with the ports set to 465 for smtp and 995 for pop (both secured).  All relevant boxes ticked.
OE has the loop back servers 127.0.0.1 with both ports set to match AVG (not secured). Only problem now is that I can't actually send e-mails and this is the error message:
The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'gmail', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.
I have posted on the AVG forum with no luck so I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me why they are not going. We had it set up fine with AVG 7.5.
HPsauce
Pro

Please read my earlier post again; I'm standard (NO LOOPBACK) and it works fine.  Wink
Not applicable

Yes, I did read it and tried it but no luck as we use OE/WM (tried many other computations too). However, there is some consolation. I have deactivated the SMTP server in AVG and changed the settings in OE to send direct from there. Emails are now being sent and, more importantly, they are being scanned, counted and certified coming in. I'm using loopback for POP (unsecured) and the gmail server for outgoing (secured).
I don't understand why you have not had to use loopback - did you install the plugin for Outlook? Certainly this is what is advised in the FAQ for setting up a secure connection within OE/WM.
Thank you for posting and trying to help - much appreciated.
HPsauce
Pro

No that WAS Windows Mail in Vista. I have several systems both Vista and XP (and W2000) and ALL worked fine with AVG8 and ALL email clients I've used (WM, OE, Outlook 2003, Outlook 2000).
Could your previous loopback setups have left some debris behind?