Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: AVG 8.0 Anti-Virus Free edition

It's VERY easy to find the Free version of AVG 8.0 unlike 7.5. Google for a start.
And it does have some BASIC aniti-spyware in the free version too.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free edition 8.0

Quote « Reply #14 on Today at 15:57 »
Quote from: pjmarsh on Today at 15:14
From the link jelv gave at the top of my page, the title says "AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0"

Which is what this topic is called! (now) 
« Last Edit: Today at 15:59 by jelv »

I think it is something about AVG Free version 8.0 being  FREE  (capitals for emphasis)
For the doubters amongst you.... try this link and you can choose whether you want the FREE version or the PAID version(s)  
There are three columns on the page,  with loads of ticks to show what you get in the FREE version, and what you get in the paid versions...
It appears that AVG  8.0 FREE now include anti-spyware which was not included before...
Here is the link.....
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition
Notice the link says   " avg-anti-virus-free-edition "
So I think it is fairly clear that it is FREE and no charges are incurred by downloading it and installing it.
Wink Smiley Wink
HPsauce
Pro

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0

Sorry Shutter, I don't quite follow. Could you explain that a bit more clearly?  Grin
shutter
Community Veteran

Erm !        take the word that represents the figure 3..... remove the first to letters, then insert the 6th letter of the alphabet, before the remaining letters...
Is that clear now?  Roll_eyes
Edit for those who missed the point.....  6th letter ! ! doh!
Wheel_nut
Grafter

GREE?? Grin Roll_eyes Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran

Testing Testing  Grin  Grin  Grin  You nearly got it right !  Grin Grin Grin
Not applicable

Having followed the link, I can see that the new version does provide anti-spyware but on the negative side doesn't support the older operating systems.  Now I am getting a bit concerned because my friend still runs ME. Does anyone know how long it will be before updating to 8.0 will be compulsory i.e. updates for the current version will stop?
She is unlikely to upgrade to another computer so I will have to scour the Internet for something else.
scootie
Grafter

installed staright after seeing this post.
seems an improvment. scan was over an hour at will over a million objects. found no viruses but new to me scaned cookies and found some trackers which appear to be somthing to do with addvistising. all new to me old version didnt scan as many files as this version.
dosent seem to have slowed my comp down(vista on a 1gb ram 1.7 ghz celeron laptop) seems same as 7.5 which isnt bad saying its got link scanning, spyware as well as virus.
whats it runing like on xp have they designed this more round vista than xp thats why im not seeing any slow down on a low spec comp.
Not applicable

Have just found out via the AVG Forum that support for older OS will end in August so I'm off on the hunt for another free AV in readiness. Any suggestions welcome.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sorry....did someone say this AVG was free?

/ducks head and scampers away
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobboulby
Grafter

Hi, I've got a couple of questions before I update:
Has anyone installed this over AVG Free v7.5? Does it do a good job of updating the previous version or is it best to de-install v7.5 and start with a clean sheet?
I'm currently using Windows Defender for anti-spyware. If the new version of AVG Free also has some anti-spyware capabilities, is there a potential for conflicts? Is anyone running both together?
Thanks - Bob
HPsauce
Pro

Yes and yes.
It cleans out AVG 7.5, no problem.
The anti-spyware is only when you scan, so no conflicts with Defender (which I run) as far as I could see. It appears to find different things anyway - lots of relatively harmless cookies for a start.
(but then anti-spyware is a "broad church" as they say)
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
The AVG web site recommends that you perform the update from within the AVG interface:
"It is strongly recommended that you perform all updates from the AVG interface. The program can distinguish between full and differential updates; while this page offers only full update files for download."
however when I check for updates it's not finding the new version.
Is this how you upgraded or did you do it from a web site link?
Thanks again - Bob
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I just downloaded the full free package from the link in the first post and ran it. Updated fine and running well (as expected).
It does need to reboot your PC which 7.5 did not. Other than that it is looking good.
shutter
Community Veteran

Having used AVG for a few years, I found that when a "new version" came out (as is AVG Cool then you can install direct without having to un-install the previous version.... when you use control centre, you are running on the "previous" version, so I suggest it will not "find" the "new" version as an update, as technically, it is an "upgrade".
Just download the "new"version and do an insall, as if you had no avg on at all....