cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RT-n56u

markm9
Grafter

ASUS RT-n56u

Finally decided to order this router today, to replace the PN router, ive a couple of questions about this router;
1. What is the loss of speed like over wi-fi, as currently i get 50 down/ 16 up, router on ground floor, sons bedroom on top floor he gets only 15 down, 8 up, will he have an increase in speed( i live in a 3 storey house)., all devices are connected wirelessly!!
2. is it worth using 5 ghz, rather than 2.4ghz channels,
3. Does this router hold connection ok, as my PN one holds this fine, with no drop outs, or disconnections.
4. What is the best set-up for this router, im on PN Fibre.
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
AndyH
Grafter

Re: ASUS RT-n56u

Hiya
What I do is set different SSIDs for the 2.4/5ghz wifi networks. 2.4 has better performance, but the signal drops sharply through walls!
There are some custom firmwares worth trying which are basically modified versions of the original Asus firmware with improved features/functions. Most of them are on here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41
I try the speed test app on my iPad and still get full readings in the furthest point of my house (which is around 35m and through 2x 8" screeded floors and a number of padstone internal walls!).
markm9
Grafter

Re: ASUS RT-n56u

ok, so i had this router for 7 days, my thoughts on this was that throughput speed dropped by about 10-15 mbps (down speed), yes the wireless signal was stronger, but was it worth paying £76, for a stronger wifi signal, ive sent this back to amazon, and bought homeplugs cost of £30. Son now gets double speed he was getting wireless.
Plugged PN router back in speed back to normal, think ill just stick with PN router Wink