Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANOTHER thread on HOW BAD the 582n is

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: ANOTHER thread on HOW BAD the 582n is

You are NOT saying anything that I don't already know, have covered above, all be it in a shortened version.
You have dnsmasq running and have a dnsname set I don't I use the routers one.
When I typed
ping acer
I expected it to use the hosts file, but when I typed
ping acer.lan
I expected it do do a dns lookup vai the router.
The fact the ip address issued via dhcp was the one in the hosts file, while the ip address returned by the router was just plain WRONG. It filled the dns in, I didn't (then I have now) from the dhcp server which picked up my static I have set on another bit of kit. So why did it spoof that address?
If I do a nslookup acer it just errors as it doesn't have a default dns search set, which you have, but if I do nslookup acer.lan it returns the correct address (NOW that I have fixed it). Given that ping <dns address> does a nslookup to get the ip address anyway ...
(I spent 6 years doing networking in a muti host multi route setup so know what I am talking about here, although it was M$ based and used their dns/dncp setup)
The simple fact is that these routers are cr*p and need replaced.

To respond to your last message:-
1 Static is setting the ip address to FIXED via the dhcp setup - so it still uses dhcp but gets the same ip address, as opposed to a fully manual static setup.
2this machine is called duo, and the hosts file contains the ip address I got from the ifconfig on acer
3.68 is correct
4 as above
vetterlein
Grafter

OK, so if now understood this right, your issue if with discrepancies on the 582
box, nothing to do with your local settings on your client machines (and you
don't run your own DNS):
So 3 places to view the address:
1: Gui
2: vi nslookup
3: via techicolor command
So I have here an iPad connected direct to the 582.
It says its address is 192.168.1.86
Looking in GUI on 582, I see: Active Desktop Graemes-iPad 192.168.1.86 WLAN Interface WLAN
Trying nslookup:
$ nslookup
> server 192.168.1.254  <----------- NOTE I switch to techicolor to do lookup
Default server: 192.168.1.254
Address: 192.168.1.254#53
> dsldevice
Server:        192.168.1.254
Address:        192.168.1.254#53
** server can't find dsldevice: FORMERR
> blulap
Server:        192.168.1.254
Address:        192.168.1.254#53
** server can't find blulap: FORMERR

... I get nothing ... in fact if I nmap it I see nothing on port 53 ... suggesting it does not run DNS?
$ nmap 192.168.1.254
Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-10-12 12:37 BST
Interesting ports on dsldevice.lan (192.168.1.254):
Not shown: 995 filtered ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
21/tcp  open  ftp
23/tcp  open  telnet
80/tcp  open  http
443/tcp  open  https
1723/tcp open  pptp
If I telnet onto the techicolor , I see :
>: dns server host list
Address          Hostname                    TTL (s) Domain                                                    Creator
<local>          dsldevice                      1200 <local>                                                undefined
<local>        * blulap                            0 <local>                                                        DM
192.168.1.71  * Graemes-iPad                      0 <local>                                                        DM
192.168.1.xxx  * BLACKBERRY-B48D                    0 <local>                                              DHCP_Server
192.168.1.xxx  * android-21f30f6721fcbe5a          0 <local>                                              DHCP_Server
(xxx out my other devices, this shows ipad on 192.168.1.71 )
So trying to ping FROM the techicolor ....

{admin}=>:ip ping addr 192.168.1.71
Legend : Ping successful(!)
        Ping Timeout(.)
        Hit ctrl-g to abort...
--- ping statistics ---
5 packet(s) transmitted, 0 successful, 100% loss
{admin}=>
{admin}=>

{admin}=>: ping proto=ip addr=192.168.1.86
Legend : Ping successful(!)
        Ping Timeout(.)
        Hit ctrl-g to abort...
!!!!!
--- ping statistics ---
5 packet(s) transmitted, 5 successful, 0% loss
rtt min/avg/max = 3 / 21 / 94 ms

So, yep , looks pretty broken pretty clear it's on 192.168.1.86 and is
accessible from techicolor ... but also it does seem my thomson does not even
run a DNS?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

It worked (somewhat) on the other 582 with the problematic wifi.
I.e. I could map by name from the stb, pc etc.
But this one shows the same as yours, a broken dns setup.
vetterlein
Grafter

I have a 585v8 ... I might have a play this evening ... see it it had one (my billion , high security router did)
BTW, while investigating, this I did stumble upon:

: dns server debug spoof list
... I won't show my list ... but it's quite long ... it's up to something.
cyberpenguin

New customer, got my fibre live this morning Smiley
Have to say this router is shocking, when the openreach dude saw what I had been given he laughed and gave me a spare TalkTalk one he had in the van lol.
You know it's bad when Openreach feel sorry for you !
Saying that the talkTalk one's not too bad it's "n" wireless and supports DLNA after all Cheesy
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Hairy Biker,
Would you be interested in trying out a new firmware version that may fix these issues? It has an automatic WiFi scanning feature similar to the BT Home Hub which will pick channels based on both Wifi traffic and non Wifi traffic in the 2.4 Ghz band.
The firmware is configured to scan all channels every 30 minutes and change channel if there is a channel with a much better score if there is no traffic on the Wifi interface. There are also some extra features which allow you to view the results of these scans.
I can provide a firmware update file for you to do it locally (although you'll need a Windows machine), or I can upgrade the router remotely (it will take about 10 minutes).
Let me know,
Thanks,
Matt
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Either Matt, I have a spare xp machine for f/w flashing.
But will it fix this dns issue?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Matt,
I've just converted to fibre & my Technicolor router doesn't seem to be as good as my old one. Could you please update the firmware in my router?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Wifi is a bit better on this new router, no dropouts but the speed is still LOW (36Mb now) useless for video streaming to my cx-01.
Will see what the new f/w brings but not holding out much hope, an external aerial would bring 1000% better signal than f/w changes can do.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Matt still not heard anything about this update, can you pm me the link please.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi,
Sorry about this, i've had to pull some instruction together to convert the ADSL firmware into FTTC firmware... Assuming you're happy to do this then you can flash the TG582n with this firmware (which is an ADSL only build) and then run these telnet commands to enable FTTC support on port 4...
Latest Beta Firmware version: http://www.mattturner.plus.com/PN TG582n R10.2.2.9 DEMO 2012 08 10 1353.bin
Version required if you want to revert: http://www.mattturner.plus.com/PN TG582n R8CM0 DG FTTC.bin
Instructions for upgrading are here: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
Or you can use a TFTP/BOOTP server if you fancy messing about. Power on the router with the reset button pressed and it will look for a file to download from a DHCP server.
One other thing, please try setting the DHCP lease time to infinite on the router, this may help to resolve the DNS/hostname problems your having... perhaps.
:dhcp server pool config name=LAN_private leasetime=0

:ppp flush
:ppp relay flush
:eth flush
:atm flush
:atm phonebook flush
:eth bridge ifdelete intf=ethport4
:eth ifadd intf=eth_wan
:eth ifconfig intf=eth_wan dest=ethif4 vlan=default
:eth ifattach intf=eth_wan
:eth ifconfig intf=eth_wan wan=enabled

:ppp ifadd intf=Internet
:ppp ifconfig intf=Internet dest= eth_wan
:ppp ifconfig intf=Internet class=12 accomp=enabled mru=1492 format=none dnsmetric=10 idletime=0 restart=enabled
:ppp ifconfig intf=Internet ipv4=enabled ipv6=disabled
:ppp ifconfig intf=Internet user=yourusername password=yourpassword status=enabled
:ppp rtadd intf=Internet dst=0.0.0.0/0 src=0.0.0.0/0 metric=10
:nat ifconfig intf=Internet translation=enabled
:system config defaultconnection Internet
:system config WANMode ETH WANEthPort ethif4
tijara33
Pro

Cry I've had my new 582n for 5 days & it's already been classisfied as not fit for purpose. It's only giving me 20 megs as opposed to the 45 I get when connected directly to the modem. Plusnet are sending me a new one, fingers crossed that it will work properly.
On a positive note, I'm very impressed by the technical support provided by Plusnet, very important for an old guy like me!!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@tijara33
I've created a ticket(#61107876) on your account, just regarding your router that isn't functioning correctly.
tijara33
Pro

Got it Chris & it'll be with you asap.  Roll_eyes
Graham21
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
Cry I've had my new 582n for 5 days & it's already been classisfied as not fit for purpose. It's only giving me 20 megs as opposed to the 45 I get when connected directly to the modem. Plusnet are sending me a new one, fingers crossed that it will work properly.
On a positive note, I'm very impressed by the technical support provided by Plusnet, very important for an old guy like me!!

Hi there, when you are getting 20Mb/s, is that Wi-Fi or using an ethernet cable. If Wi-Fi, what are you connecting with?
Graham