Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2?

gunsmoke
Grafter

ADSL2?

Hi everyone
Is ADSL2 upgrading an individual line thing, or is it global to the whole exchange?
I had thought it was due to upgrading exchanges to 21CN type stuff, but several people on my exchange (including some on PN) have been notified about increasing their speed onto ADSL2, but I havent
Any ideas?
Thanks
Gunsmoke
11 REPLIES 11
x47c
Grafter

Re: ADSL2?

Upgrade sequence:
The exchange has new equipment fitted - this is the 21CN/ADSL2+ stuff.
Once this has been done, tested and approved the exchange is said to have been upgraded to 21CN
At this stage each individual's line is still connected to the old 20CN equipment in the exchange - nothing has changed.
The individual line has to be swapped over physically from the old equipment to the new equipment.
Once this is done the individual line has now been upgraded.
Given that an exchange may have several thousand broadband lines from it - that's a lot of work to do  - along with necessary software settings and service details change for the line at the exchange/Plusnet.
So the lines are swapped over in batches - the timing will depend on BT's workload for repairs and other faults /vandalism etc on the network.
As a guess I'd say they will swap over those closest to the exchange first as they will benefit the most from the upgrade and their lines are less likely to give problems on the new system.
If you ask nicely on here you may get the Plusnet staff to fast-track your line to the head of the queue at your exchange.  
In general those currently with a sync speed above 4000kbps will benefit from a swap to ADSL2+, those lower may benefit from the better stability of the newer equipment (21CN) but are not likely to see a overall constant speed increase.
Once everyone has been swapped over the old 20CN equipment can be scrapped - or used as spare parts for the other remaining 20CN exchanges in the UK.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

FYI gunsmoke, you are on 21CN (ADSL 2+ to be more specific). Your line was upgraded on May 1st.
Is anything particular making you believe that hasn't happened?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gunsmoke
Grafter

Hi and thanks for the update
I figured it hadnt been ADSL2'd as some others on PN on the same exchange had been notified about their line being changed to ADSL2, but I hadnt, so thought it hadnt happened to my line yet
My connection problems started about 10 days before the 1st May, (around the same time as a few others on this exchange too)
The SNR reset should have finished by now, but my speed is just over 3Mbps rather than the 6Mbps I was getting before.
Do you think something needs resetting or power cycling my end to get a faster connection?
Thanks
Gunsmoke
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've run a few checks and everything points towards you being able to get speeds around 6mb so I'm going to get ticket 54692062 back to our faults team.
If you could do some up to date tests on www.speedtester.bt.com this will help us raise it to BT.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gunsmoke
Grafter

Thanks for this
Ive done a couple of BT speed tests now.  one was about twice the speed of the other.
I'm pretty sure this is an exchange problem.  I've posted some comments (on that fault ticket) from others around the village who are also experiencing connection dropout problems.
As not everyone has the same ISP, surely there must be mechanism of escalating to whoever is actually dealing with the hardware in the exchange?
Otherwise, anyone who raises a fault will have to go through a couple of weeks of "try different filters", or "try a different modem" etc
Gunsmoke
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gunsmoke,
I think the reason that your sync is lower than it could be is because you have a target SNR of 15dB. This won't be helping. Unfortunately this will require some internal checks. Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
gunsmoke
Grafter

Hi Jojo
you guys have done a SNR 8 days ago, has it ended up too high/low?
& previous to that the BT engineer PN called,  tested the wires & sockets here & didnt find a problem.
Gunsmoke
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gunsmoke,
there may not be any physical issues as such with the internal wiring but something could be causing interference which wasn't apparent when the engineer was there. The only way to definitively prove this is to put it in the test socket, with no extensions connected between the router and the filter and to reset the SNR then. If it still misbehaves, then we know it's outside the property.
Jojo Smiley
gunsmoke
Grafter

I'm afraid I dont have a test socket (really, the only phone socket in my house doesnt have the half plate bit)
last night routerstats lite was showing zero noise still.. I'm not sure what that means. 
What sort of noise value should I be seeing for a good connection?
Gunsmoke
(still reckon its something up at the exchange.  There are at least 6 people I know of in the village who are having what sounds like identical connection dropouts as i was)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gunsmoke,
I've asked one of our faults team to pick up your ticket.
Jojo Smiley
gunsmoke
Grafter

Thanks Jojo
I se they have got back to me already Smiley