cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2?? when and how??

DeathOfRtas
Grafter

ADSL2?? when and how??

Okay, I thought I read somewhere here, and I did a search to try find it again but couldnt, that when ADSL2 becomes available in your area you would be switched over. Did I really read that or did I dream it?
My exchange has had ADSL2 for ages now and Im still on original ADSL. I joined in September and then for some reason I got an email in November saying my order was being progressed. Unfortunately it didnt give details on what order was progressing!!! I was wondering if that was when I was maybe supposed to get switched over.
Although looking at all the forum chat regarding ADSL2 I dont know if its a good idea!! Hehe!! Anyway some info would be good.
Cheers.
37 REPLIES 37
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL2?? when and how??

Correct - unless you are on Value or one of the older products then you won't
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Im on the Pro package so am I right in guessing that I should have moved by now?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You may well have done but you won't actually see any difference because you are moved over to the 21CN network but still remain using ADSL1. You have to raise a ticket and ask to be changed to use ADSL2+.
So I suggest you raise a ticket and first ask if you are on the 21CN network. If you are then ask to be changed to ADSL2+, and while you are at it get the upload limit removed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DeathOfRats,
SQUEAK. Wink
Also, I've placed your modify order to move you to the up to 20Mb service which is due to complete tomorrow. That's also with an uncapped upstream.
Hope that helps,
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Cool, thanks for your help guys  Smiley 
Is there anything I need to do my end when this change happens? Are there any settings I need to change or will it be automatic?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It should all be automatic with most routers, although I have just altered your connection speed profile on our side of things to match BTs (currently at 9000) so you might need to disconnect and reconnect to get that update.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

9000?!?! How does Bt arrive at these numbers? I'm pretty sure it should be higher as I stay close to the exchange, less than a km away. I would have thought my profile should be up near the top end.  Angry Cry
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Deathofrats
I hate to tell you this, just cause you are in essence only a few hundred metres away from the exchange doesn't mean your line will be this length.
As the crow flies, I am 1.1km away from my exchange, but my actual line length is around 2.6km meaning I get around 13mb at the moment, and that is with a current fault with current copper lines in place.
Give it time, as when you move to ADSL2+ on the 21CN side of things, you go through a whole new 10 day training period as you did when you were put onto ADSL Max...
Hope this clears things up a abit.
CB
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Yeah I do realize that but I am 415m from exchange whilst the road length to the exhange is 966m(thats because road goes away then comes back!!) I'm guessing I'm somewhere in between especially as the BT cabinets do not follow the road but follow paths on a more direct route!! Would have to be a pretty insanely planned wiring route if it is longer than 966m!!!  Shocked . Plus looking at broadband streetstats there is someone further away getting 14Meg!!  Huh
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you could post your router stats http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php we might be able to see what could be causing the slower speeds

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As the crow flies I am 200m from the exchange. By road and walking it is about 220m. I know which cab my line comes through - my line is around 1km.
Edit: If you put the downstream attenuation reported by your router in to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php you will get a good estimate of your actual line length and the speed you can expect.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Heres my stats

System Up Time 05:27:19
Port Status         TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA         76132 81825 0                 564 5004 05:26:22
LAN 10M/100M 51639 50918 0                 3455 433 05:27:15
WLAN 11M/54M 33861 27901 0                 1646 220 05:27:05
ADSL Link                 Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 10231 kbps         834 kbps
Line Attenuation         14 db                 3 db
Noise Margin         15 db                 11 db
The Kitz checker reckons my profile should be 19000!!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Downstream noise margin of 15db is losing you a lot of speed and is indicative of either a lot of disconnects and/or a noisy line.
Leave your router permanently on and reboot once a day only between 10am and 3pm, then keep an eye on your up time to make sure you are not get disconnects between. It will take a little while but you should see BT reduce your target noise margin which will give you better speeds.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Snarf
Grafter

Indeed, 15dB is is a high SNR to have (i.e. should give you a very stable line). I think the target SNR on my line is 6dB, if you can get yours dropped to 9, or even 6dB you should notice a big jump in your line speed.