Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ upstream speeds, profile and throughput

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

ADSL2+ upstream speeds, profile and throughput

Has anyone else looked at their upstream in detail?
I've currently got a ticket open, but I'm wondering if the "problem" I'm seeing is actually how it's working for everyone?
My downstream is fine, syncing at nearly 18mbps on a 3dB non-interleaved profile and all the numbers for sync, profile and throughput correlate well.
Upstream definitely looks wrong though.  Sad
The sync is just under 1.2mbps, right now it's 1159kbps (after a reset by PN) but has been higher.
(Previously on BeThere it was 1350kbps but that was at 3dB which oddly BT doesn't seem to use on upstream)
However the upstream profile is 832 as reported to PlusNet (shows as 0.83 in BT tests), this seems very low.  Huh
And BT tests generally show a throughput even lower, below 500kbps. The last test was 460kbps.
What sort of numbers are others seeing?
Edit: Just notice a post in a parallel thread which has the same upstream profile (but better throughput  Cry )
PS This 0.83 profile doesn't seem to have changed at all once it was set after my upstream was "uncapped".
7 REPLIES 7
davidfriedlande
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ upstream speeds, profile and throughput

im the same, with previous supplier it synced at 1.4 and throughput of about 140kb with an snr of 3, with plusnet sync at 1.1 with throughput of around 125kb and snr of 6, my bt profile shows 0.83 as max achievable which i know it is not as my test results usually out perform my ip profile on up and down speeds!
HPsauce
Pro

Yes, it was your results I saw and referred to.  Wink
Interestingly non-BT tests are more "positive" so I think the BT test may not be "fit for purpose" on upload speeds.
Indeed, I can get significantly higher throughput with other testers than the reported upstream IP profile - maybe it's meaningless?
davidfriedlande
Grafter

i think another reason could be LLU broadband over using a bt based service, when the DLM or line management is not in play what you usually get is unrestricted as fast as your line can sync service, mine was like this and was definatly faster but tended to drop the connection once or twice a week, which i could live with as it would resync straight away at a high rate.
for me paying 2.50 a month for a service that is only slightly slower than i had before for 18 per month is worth the trade off, in fact i am pleasantly surprised having never had a managed line before, that my speeds are very good for the distance i am from the green cabinet.
my only gripe is upload speed is set with a 6db snr and that cant be changed
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: davidfriedlander
my only gripe is upload speed is set with a 6db snr and that cant be changed

I think that may be mine too, downstream is fine and in some ways can feel faster than before - maybe the traffic management helps when there are conflicts?
I've just done some more non-BT tests and am getting typically 0.91mbps upload, which seems reasonable for 6dB - on BeThere it was usually around 1mbps.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

An upstream profile doesn't make much sense, the upstream data has already passed through the slowest part once it has reached the exchange.
HPsauce
Pro

It may not make sense on ADSL2+, but given the way communications protocols work that doesn't mean it can't be used or enforced.
In fact with FTTC it may become more relevant/important.  Wink
However, I've had a reply to my ticket which suggests that PlusNets "Suppliers" have confirmed that 832kbps is the highest profile reported, even if the throughput is in practice uncapped.  Cry
So I may well be right in saying this:
Quote from: HPsauce
I think the BT test may not be "fit for purpose" on upload speeds.
HPsauce
Pro

I wish I'd just kept quiet, my speed has been hit.  Cry
As a result of querying this PlusNet have triggered some resets of my line, which in turn has turned off interleaving AND upped the SNRM.  Angry
And stupidly I closed the ticket earlier, though it was actually OK at that time.  Crazy
BT DLM strikes again.
Edit: Interleaving is off again.  Cool Maybe I misread the information.  Undecided