Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ upload speed information etc.

dabow
Rising Star

ADSL2+ upload speed information etc.

Dear PN members,
I have just transferred onto ADSL2+  and am achieving the following speeds:  Sync: U/D=  443/16056 Kb/s,  typical actual  U/D = 350/13517 Kb/s.
I have enquired about getting the Upstream speed improved by having it "uncapped" ,but have been told that it might negatively impact on the Downstream speed.
Has anyone had experience of this happening, and was the effect very significant ?
Secondly, looking at the new system router stats. ,I am getting a figure for the Output Power(down) = 0.0 dBm. Which looks very strange.  Could anyone please explain why this should be so low ?
Basic router stats:
                                  Output power U/D= 12.5/0.0  dBm
                                  Line Atten.      U/D = 13.0/28.5  dB
                                  SN margin      U/D =  30.5/6.0  dB
Any enlightening information would be welcome.
17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: ADSL2+ upload speed information etc.

It can have a slight impact on downstream but it only slight.
Give it a go if you want, we can reverse it if it's not to your liking.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Adam.  I will give it a try.
Any thoughts / views about the low value of Down Output power ?
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My Netgear DG834v4 also reports D/S output power as 0.0 dBm on ADSL2+.
I have no idea whether this is due to the router not picking up and displaying the info from the exchange, or the exchange not sending any info to be picked up by the router (what I do know is that my connection seems to work OK!  :))
Would be interesting to hear what stats other users with the same (or different) modem/routers are getting
(Brief discussion HERE which touches on the subject without really getting to the bottom of it.)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dabow,
I seem to remember some discussions on here regarding figures in the router stats and how there were some bugs in the firmware that led to 0 or negative values, not sure if it was the output power though or I'm afraid which make and model(s) it was. Hopefully someone can help here? Cheesy
I'd say though if the connection is working fine that it's nothing to worry about, and with a downstream speed like that you should have no worries with an uncapped upstream. Let us know if you'd like us to go ahead with the order and we'll get on it for you, though it won't complete until after the weekend now.
EDIT: Ah, there we go Smiley Thanks JayG.
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks JayG and Matt for the replies.
I am using the standard PN Thomson router ,seems strange that a few seem to do it. Anyway its working fine !
Matt, I have requested an uncapping via the normal channels, thanks. As you say it, will be Monday before actuation.
Thanks again.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dabow,
Glad I could help, hope the uncapping has gone fine - please let us know if not.
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks for the help Matt. The uncapping of upstream seems to have gone ok.
One thing I have noticed in the last few days since transferring to ADSL2+ is the seemingly drastic reducion in download speeds at busy times, such as now. At quieter times I am getting 12/13 Mb/s but at the moment I'm getting 2/3 Mb/s !  This is less than half the value I used to get on the old system (Regularly 5/6 Mb/s even when busy).
Is something wrong with the ADSL2+  ?
Any comments would be appreciated.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That sounds more like a fault with your individual service, have you tried raising that via the fault checker? https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks for the comments Adam.
I have not reported the effect yet, formally, I thought it might have something to do with the Service Mss.70143(Joanne) that I have  spotted since making the comment. I have also carried out a router reboot, its put me on a different Gateway so that may have an effect also.
I'll see what its like when its busy this evening and then takeit from there.
Thanks for your attention.
dfunked
Grafter

Sorry about the thread hijack, but would it be worthwhile getting mine uncapped?
I'm on ADSL2 (not +), with the following sync;
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 4,160
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dabow,
How did it go last night?
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dfunked,
I don't see what harm it would do if you want it. Let me know and I'll get it done for you.
Jojo Smiley
dabow
Rising Star

Hello JoJo,
The speeds both lastnight and tonight are fine, ie: Down=13+ Mb/s , Up= 960Kb/s typically, very little deviation at all.
Whether this stability is due to change of Gateway on router reboot, or your valliant efforts to cure previous problems, (re: 70143 ) I probably will never know!!
Thanks again for your efforts and for your vigilance on these forums for individual problems occurring, much appreciated,great service.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI dfunked,
I've placed that order now, this should complete tomorrow.
@dabow, Thank you, I'm just glad to be able to help.
Jojo Smiley