cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ to go live with increased upstream...

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

ADSL2+ to go live with increased upstream...

In http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75451.0.html
It states in part,
As you may be aware, we have a number of customers on an LLU network provided by Tiscali. These customers have been on LLU for around 3 years now.
We are now taking steps towards moving these customers back to the BT ASDL platform.
One of the main differences that customers may notice is the decrease in upload speed if they go to ADSL Max, which is why we are giving those who can get 21CN the opportunity to go over to it.

So one class of users look likely to retain a long term increased upstream speed, (presumably) without a similarly increased cost?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

11 REPLIES 11
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: ADSL2+ to go live with increased upstream...

The previous paragraph in the quoted post refers to the affected LLU-network customers being on 21CN enabled exchanges so able (if they wish) to take part in the 21CN trial. That's no different from the option available to any other user on a 21CN enabled exchange.
So why should one draw any inference about future costs from this LLU-associated statement?
David
godsell4
Rising Star

It sets a further precedent that existing BBYW/Premier/PAYG customers will all be put onto 21CN without PN as it becomes available.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Lurker
Grafter

I wouldn't get too worked up.
Have you seen any of the financial difficulties Tiscali is having?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3895-sale-of-tiscali-to-sky-at-critical-point.html
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3919-carphone-warehouse-reconsider-a-tiscali-bid.html
Just two examples, but there are more if one cares to look.
Don't be surprised then, that PN want to protect their customers, and get them onto a network that they know has less chance of going belly-up in a sea of debt!
I think there is too much being read into what appears to be a move to ensure the continued supply of service to customers.
In doing so, PN have taken the opportunity to invite those on 21CN exchanges to take part in the trial - a proactive offering, but one which is open to all customers on those exchanges already.
zubel
Community Veteran

Not  sure I understand what you mean?
Plusnet are trying to withdraw the LLU central(s).  They  (are?) mailing all the people curently on LLU, offering them either a transfer to ADSL, or a transfer onto the ADSL2+ trial.
Not quite sure how this sets a precedent for moving existing BBYW/Premier/PAYG customers en masse onto 21CN, (I assume PN in this context means Prior Notice?).
No doubt in the future it will be desirable to move from ADSL to 21CN connections for Plusnet, but I think that's looking pretty far into the future.  It's not simply a matter of switching them all - there is the associated costs of new MSIL connections, the current leases on the existing 622 centrals and proving the technology.
Yes, one day I suspect we'll see fairly mass migrations to MSILs.  I suspect that will be at least 3 years away, and more likely 5 years away.  Even then, PN will likely still have to maintain a certain number of 622's to cater for people who have not been upgraded to 21CN, or at least maintain an interconnect to route data from 20CN connections to one of the MSILs ?
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think it was this bit which raised eyebrows
One of the main differences that customers may notice is the decrease in upload speed if they go to ADSL Max, which is why we are giving those who can get 21CN the opportunity to go over to it.
given that the traffic shaping for the new products gives maximum upstream speeds as Line Speed except for VPN which is 448kbps on Value whereas the old products such as BBYW 2 only give a maximum of 128kbps
This may well be reading too much into it and assuming that only Unlimited will give ADSL2+ speeds in the future as that is the FAQ which mentions it while it is not stated in the FAQ for Value and Pro so the assumption is that neither of these two products will offer it and neither will the old products.
A quick response from Plusnet staff can quickly clear this up.
James
Grafter

Quick response is that we haven't finalised our plans on ADSL2+ past the ending of the trial.
We are yet to make any decisions suggesting whether certain products will be allowed on the ADSL2+ service or not.  So please don't go jumping to conclusions Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There you are that wasn't difficult was it  Grin
Lurker
Grafter

LLU gave some users a higher Sync speed - just because of the nature of the connections.
All PN appear to be doing is removing the LLU network from their service offering.
The impact of this is that customers being moved back to MaxDSL *may* experience a lower sync speed (i.e. 448kbps) - although some of them might not have had more than that anyway on LLU.
If they are on an exchange which has been 21CN converted, and therefore is ADSL2+ capable, PN are offering them the chance to join the trial (although they already had the option - PN are just inviting them explicitly)
I don't see why people think its all cloaks and dagger - there is no change to the products, just the way that the service is supplied.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Barry
 Even then, PN will likely still have to maintain a certain number of 622's to cater for people who have not been upgraded to 21CN, or at least maintain an interconnect to route data from 20CN connections to one of the MSILs ?

Maybe, but PN can move people from IPStreamMax to IPStreamConnect and keep people on 20CN, PN get reduced costs doing this.
--
3Mb FTTC
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
  So please don't go jumping to conclusions Smiley

OK, today we shall use the pole vaulting method of reaching conclusions Smiley  Tongue
--
3Mb FTTC
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Because of the reasons noted we are looking at moving customers from LLU back to BT. One of the advantages of our LLU offering was that it offered a faster upload speed than Max (up to about 800kbps). So as part of the communication we've sent out regarding this we've let people know about the 21CN trial and suggest that if they make use of that faster upstream they'd be best choosing 21CN as opposed to Max.
At some point down the line I'd expect a trial of IPStream Connect and also more people moving to 21CN. At the moment we are staggering the orders out for those that have volunteered because of the time it takes to place the orders and to be able to keep a handle on any faults that come out the other end. We currently have enough volunteers to take us to the end of the month and are getting new tickets in daily.
When we start to run out we'll send out some more small batches of targeted emails at those whose exchanges are enabled.
As far as the trial stage is concerned any Plusnet customer on any product can go on the trial (we need to do a bit of backend work to allow some Madasafish customers to take part) and we'll set the speeds to the max the line will support by default. As James says come the end of the trial the plans haven't been finalised, I suspect we'll still be in the trial phase for a while yet, but what happens between now and then during the trial will very much influence what the plans are going to be.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology