Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ sync same as DSLMAX?

chickendippers
Grafter

ADSL2+ sync same as DSLMAX?

Hi everyone,
I've been on the ADSL2+ trial for about a month now, but haven't noticed any increase in sync rate...surely I should have seen some improvement?
Downstream
Data rate(Kbps)
3070Kb
Noise Margin
Output power(dBm)
Attenuation(dB)
Upstream
Data rate(Kbps)
1108Kb
Noise Margin
Output power(dBm)
Attenuation(dB)
BT Speed Test
Your DSL connection rate: 3070 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1107 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2181 kbps

Thanks in advance for your kind help.
12 REPLIES 12
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL2+ sync same as DSLMAX?

Quote from: chickendippers
surely I should have seen some improvement?

TBH very little at your line length, maybe 10% to 15% or so downstream (upstream is obviously a lot faster).
The biggest factor seems to be the downstream Noise Margin set at 15dB. There may be a good reason for this however, but it's worth asking PN if they know why it's not the "normal" 6dB.
chickendippers
Grafter

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll open a ticket and see what happens.
Horsham may be a very nice place, but it's a technical backwater Lips_are_sealed
chickendippers
Grafter

Well I opened a ticket, but have just got a reply saying that only faults can deal with trial issues. However I do notice that my stats have changed:
Data rate(Kbps)
4525Kb
Noise Margin
Has anyone on the forum had a look into this?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
That sounds like the DLM has seen your line to be in a stable condition and as such has dropped your noise margin accordingly, thus increasing your sync speeds.
Worth keeping an eye on it and see if there is much fluctuation in noise margin.
chickendippers
Grafter

Ah interesting, I thought that as it changed after I posted about there might have had a connection. The NM has changed again:
Data rate(Kbps)
4525Kb
Noise Margin
Is that good or bad? From my reading I understand that SNR Margin fluctuation is normal and the lower reading yesterday is also expected as I posted at night while it is now higher in 30 degree temperatures.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Your speed hasn't changed but the Noise Margin has increased.  Smiley
That suggests your connection is stably connected and the background noise/interference has dropped significantly meanwhile.
So, nothing to worry about except that a 4dB variation in noise margin is somewhat larger than normal.
rengarth
Grafter

My own ADSL2+ trial started today at 8:55am. After a couple of drops (probably due to early stages), my router seems to have settled.
Prior to the trial the stats read:
Type: FASTPATH
Data rate(Kbps)
Down: 8192Kb Up:448Kb

Noise Margin
Down: 13 Up: 26
Output power(dBm)
Down: 120 Up:199

Attenuation(dB)
Down: 29 Up: 15
Now they read:
Type: FASTPATH
Data rate(Kbps)
Down: 15652Kb Up:1208Kb

Noise Margin
Down: 6 Up: 5
Output power(dBm)
Down: 118 Up:204

Attenuation(dB)
Down: 41 Up: 16
HOWEVER . . . The actual down speeds according to two speedtest sites (mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and speedtest.net) have not changed, and remain at around about 6.5Mbps (the up-speed has increased from 376Kbps to about 1.02Mbps).
I've replied to my ticket about this but wondered if something needs to be done by Plus.net to improve actual down speeds, or if this is done automatically, or even if it's too early to tell?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
There's an IP Profile on ADSL2+ too.
You'll need to wait a ouple of days for this to update and then you should see pseeds improving.
chickendippers
Grafter

Wow, wish I had those line stats. Mine goes up to 4525Kb sometimes, but never stays there long enough for the IP Profile to increase beyond 3Mb.
It takes a while for the actual throughput to increase as it's done gradually. I'm not sure if there's a more intensive training period for ADSL2+ like there is for DSLMax where the speed might increase more rapidly.
rengarth
Grafter

Thanks James. You're definitely a star  Smiley
chickendippers: bear in mind my ADSL2+ only started today at 8:55am. It's only been about 7 hours so I'm not expecting miracles. This is a whole new learning process for me. Having said that, the last time my router dropped was at 10:26am (according to the log). Since then the connection has been constant, and I'm running a speed test about every hour, and they seem constant at the moment as well.
I plan on logging regular speed tests for a while, as well as whenever the router drops and resyncs(as long as I notice it!). The stats might come in useful. Only thing is I'm using a Belkin N1 ADSL2+ router, and the stats it shows aren't as comprehensive as some of the ones I've seen others post.
chickendippers
Grafter

Yeah, what model you got? I'm using F5D8633-4
rengarth
Grafter

Mine is the F5D8631-4 v3 (according to the label). I did contact Belkin before requesting the trial, and they told me the router DID support ADSL2+, with speeds up to 24Mbps.  Smiley