Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ ...speeds/profiles,,, my confused despair

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

ADSL2+ ...speeds/profiles,,, my confused despair

Since tranferring to ADSL2+ my download speeds have not improved, even though the PN IP profile was 17000, so I raised a ticket, Subsequently I found that the BT IP profile was still at 5000 ( the same as it had been pre ADSL2+!). I raised a furhterquestionand was told to do another BT speed test from the BT test socket.
I reported back, and was told that as the download speeds are within limits PN can not report a speed fault.
I am utterly and despairingly confused by all this! PN must have got the 17000 from somewhere and surely BT's should be the same.
Final result is that PN have reduced theirs to 5000 to agree with BT.
I feel confused and aggrieved by the whole saga. Sad
I hope that a staff member of the forum may be able to throw some light on what is to me a lash up.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: ADSL2+ ...speeds/profiles,,, my confused despair

Can you post your router stats (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Hero

Stats attached Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Looking at your attenuation you are about 3.3km from the exchange and could expect a speed of around 7000kbps, so you are not so far down. If your line remains stable your target noise margin may drop back to 6db which would give you an increased sync speed.
I suggest you reconnect once per day between 9 am and 3pm and leave it on all the rest of the time - it make take a a few weeks for this to take effect (all thanks to BT's stupid DLM system).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Hero

As I said , "it's confusing, when PN input 17000 ( from who knows where!) as the IP Profile, and estimates from the BT site ( could not find PN version) taken a couple of motnhs ago were  saying up to 10000. I accept now what Jelv Smiley has said, but the combination of the inaccurate misleading estmaes and illocicality of the IP profiles certainly does not impress one bit. Angry neither with PN or BT.
Incidentally my router is a DG834G v3 with latest update and is supposedly compatible with ADSL2+. Could that router also be a limitation? Kitz also mentions bit rate profiling as a factor. Is it with that model?