cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ speed

qwango

ADSL2+ speed

Hi
I'm hoping someone will be able to help. I have read through a number of posts and have got generally a bit confused - so I'll post as much info as I can in the hope someone can give me a steer.
Pre-ADSL2+ my router would sync at 6MB+ without any problems. Post-ADSL2+ it fluctuated a lot in the first few weeks but has now settled at 3070kbps. From reading posts on here, I thought I must be on a banded profile, but I raised this with PN and they have told me that I am not. Both my BT and PN profile are 2500kbps and the results from my speedtester are as follows:
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3070 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 880 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.25:22.82:61.93 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
My line attenuation is 34dB and noise margin is 12dB. The router is plugged directly into the master socket
Is there anything else I can do to try and improve my speed?
thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ speed

Other than trying to get your noise margin back down to 6dB, probably not.
Not sure if you can get this changed on 21CH... best raise a ticket and see what PN say.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome to the forum qwango Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
qwango

Thanks....
Well, that was rather strange. After being stuck for weeks at 3070kbps, today my downstream sync has jumped to 4937kbps and noise margin has changed to 9dB. So... if someone adjusted at PN adjusted my settings - thanks very much!  Grin
My PN profile is still at 2500kbps, although hopefully that will be adjusted in the next few days.
scootie
Grafter

3070kbps sounds like you was stuck on a banded profile. PN wouldnt of changed your noise margin because 21cn DLM reacts alot quicker to line changes. ive been in and out of bands loads of times been on 9db then 15db an 18db and my lines stelled on 12db now just as it was on 20cn.
started on adsl2 start of april and got my stable noise margin given to me by the DLM about a month ago.
worth a read http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/dynamic-line-management-dlm-on-adsl2/
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:ADSL2+ speed

Hi there,
Your profile increased to 4000 last night, it's showing the same on our side now too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
qwango

Quote from: Chris
Hi there,
Your profile increased to 4000 last night, it's showing the same on our side now too.

Thanks Chris - I did temporarily sync at a higher speed but it has now returned to 3066kbps. Is there anything else I can try?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi qwango,
I must say, the 3066 does sound like a banded profile.  If you don't mind being patient then the best thing to do is to wait.
If it is a banded profile it should return to normal if the line stays stable for long enough, if not banded then normal DLM should pick things up eventually.
If you can avoid interfering with your router in any way for a while it might just pick up when the 21CN thinks all is well.
I have just been 'released' from a banded profile, this morning my ADSL disconnected and resynced at 6220 after days / weeks at 3047, my BT profile has now lifted from 2500 to 5000, just waiting for the PN profile to catch up (should be soon now).
One thing I have noticed while banded is that eveything performs relatively well given the sync speed limitation (as the line is running slower than it is capable of, it does not seem to suffer slow-down so much as one runnig close to its limit).
You will be limited to 'standard' definition on BBC iPlayer for example at this speed but it should usually play smoothly.
If you are definitely not banded then resyncing once to see if you get a better speed is fine, if not leave it a good while (until tomorrow if possible) before trying again.  If you do get a decent sync then leave alone!
If it still resyncs back to 3000ish then you need to do further checks but I have found that avoiding unnecessary router restarts is usually the best policy .
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: walker23
If it is a banded profile it should return to normal if the line stays stable for long enough,

personally i'm not convinced that is the case
my experience is that once put in jail you get stuck there
no matter how many double sixes you throw
unless you get plusnet to ask BT to free you and apparently they can only ask this once
who makes up these rules ?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: bluewhale
If it is a banded profile it should return to normal if the line stays stable for long enough,

who makes up these rules ?

BTW!!  (their exchange equipment, their rules).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: bluewhale

personally i'm not convinced that is the case

ive not had plusnet come to the rescue in the all the time ive been on adsl2, ive allways waited to see how the DLM reacted on its own.
i spent at least a month on a 3072 sync before the DLM tried new stuff with my line, i had a  few bands before this but they cleared up within days and weeks, to the point where got to a month the last time.
But my opion on the matter is to let DLM do its thing unless its totaly takes the biscuit, as my lines been solid up 23 days now which am thinking is due to the DLM finaly having a good picture of my line, where i feel if i had got BTw to unband me and tweak noise margins the DLM wouldnt of learnt nothing
Mand
Grafter

The Dog has a point. We can step in where necessary, but it's best to let the automated systems do their thing if possible.
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: Mand
The Dog has a point. We can step in where necessary, but it's best to let the automated systems do their thing if possible.

nope i'm not happy with that as i know my line can go a lot faster than the 6m i'm stuck down at
i was up at 9 - 10m and i would like to be back near there
please can plusnet raise a ticket with bt to free my line as i have been offered.
Mand
Grafter

@bluewhale, it depends on the case. In your case the banded profile is clearly unnecessary, and we are in the process of getting it lifted as per your other thread.
In the OP's case, it's a recent migration to ADSL2+, and so best to let DLM find it's feet.