Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ "reset" after physical line fault fix

Bobsta
Grafter

ADSL2+ "reset" after physical line fault fix

Hi,
Short version:
Could someone from Plusnet reset my line so it'll sync with a normal target downstream SNR of 6dB please?

Long version:
I'd been suffering with poor ADSL (and then ADSL2+) performance for a number of months. I won't bore you with the details (see previous posts)... but it was inconsistent and annoying(!)
Finally I actually bothered to pick up the phone (how many of us only have a phone line for broadband?!)... and noticed a distinct crackling - especially on windy days. I immediately phoned PN using the landline so they could hear the issue for themselves.
A BT engineer came out and confirmed the line had broken down somewhere between my house and the exchange. This led to several months of BT faffing with access to telegraph poles, health & safety rules, etc... but finally this week they claim to have fixed the issue.
So... I now have a new segment of cable leading to my house and the crackling certainly appears to have gone. My problem is that my DSL is still syncing at an overly conservative 15dB SNR. I'd like to get the line reset to "not broken mode" so that the DSLAM will attempt a faster sync. I've asked in my PN help ticket for this to be done but have been sent the usual "...there are many reasons customers may experience slow speeds. Please follow our guide..." response.
Could one of you helpful PN people help me out here please?
Thanks,
Rob
4 REPLIES 4
Bobsta
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ "reset" after physical line fault fix

... just to add... using a command-line flag on my router I've been able to temporarily over-ride the SNR target and pulled it down to 9dB. That's immediately taken my sync speed from ~7150bps to 9707bps. It would be nice to get back to a vanilla 6dB with no fiddling required though.
The BT speedtester site (perhaps understandably) reports:
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.38 Mbps
... so I could do with a profile reset too please.  Smiley
Thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Presumably that BT speedtester run was done before you got the higher sync speed? The BT IP Profile should now be 8.56Mbps.
David
Bobsta
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Presumably that BT speedtester run was done before you got the higher sync speed? The BT IP Profile should now be 8.56Mbps.

It was done after... but immediately (5 mins) after.
I've now re-run it and it is indeed reporting 8.56 Mbps.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I''ve just had a look at this for you Bobsta, having run a diagnostic tests it makes much better sense to me to reset the SNR to 9db rather than 6db, this is mainly as loop loss is in excess of 35db.
Lets see how things go in this configuration. There's no profile reset on this side that we can do yet as it's set to match the current line rate of 6382kbps, but fingers and toes crossed you should see an improvement when the next delta report drops in for your line.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team