Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Upgrade

Hingy
Hooked

ADSL2+ Upgrade

Hi
21CN is now available on my exchange. I have just raised a ticket to be upgraded to ADSL2+ and have my upload speed uncapped. My ticket was answered immediately, but Martin says that it could take up to 6 weeks. Is there any chance that a manual order can be any quicker?
Thanks
Hingy  Smiley
18 REPLIES 18
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ADSL2+ Upgrade

Hi Hingy,
I've placed the order manually so this should complete next Monday for you.
Jojo Smiley
Hingy
Hooked

Hi Jojo
Many thanks for looking into this for me.  Smiley
Cheers
Hingy
GR4CE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think I'm in the same situation as Hingy.
Received the notification of the upgrade and replied to it requesting the upgrade but I'm a bit unsure of the procedure. Maybe I should have raised a separate ticket...?
Would you be able to have a look Jo, please or order it manually?
Thanks in advance!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi GR4CE,
Just checked and your order is due to complete sometime today. Remind me to check later or in the morning for you.
Jojo Smiley
GR4CE
Rising Star

Thanks Jo!
Something is going on as the router connection lights went off a while ago and I had no dialling tone either.
It's back on now, I did a speedtest and download seems to be better (although see router figures below),  upload better than the previous 448kbps but still under 1Mbps.
This is what the router reports:
DownStream Connection Speed 7360 kbps [font=Verdana](note that this is the same figure it had before, shouldn't it go up?)[/font]
UpStream Connection Speed 888 kbps
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi GR4CE,
It's still not showing as complete here but if the work has been done then they may have to go back and close off all the jobs before it gets registered on the system. Nudge me to check in the morning and I'll know more then.
Jojo Smiley
GR4CE
Rising Star

Hi Jo,
Is it showing as complete now?
This is what the router says:
ADSL Link ----------- Downstream ------ Upstream
Connection Speed ------ 7150 kbps --- 888 kbps
Line Attenuation --------- 48.5 db ------- 22.6 db
Noise Margin ------------- 5.4 db --------- 10.6 db
Can't find a reference to ADSL2+ on the router other than I know it's compatible (Netgear DGND3300v2)
And this is what My Broadband Speed says:

Is the upstream uncapped?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi GR4CE,
I've just checked and you're definitely on the up to 20Mb/s ADSL2+ service, though I'm not sure why the sync is at 7150 exactly. Is it the same after you reboot the router?
GR4CE
Rising Star

Thanks for checking, Matt. And no idea why.
I rebooted the router last night, no change. And I lost service a couple of hours ago although the router green light was on and reporting as connected, so I rebooted again and got this:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7264 kbps 1096 kbps
Line Attenuation 48.5 db 22.5 db
Noise Margin 6.1 db 5.9 db
Not sure why it's going up and down  Undecided
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, is that with the router in the master socket? It's always best to run the router there if possible because it'll generally sync faster and be more stable (internal wiring adds a surprising amount of interference which can slow things down). It can also be worth trying the test socket, which is behind the master socket front plate - unscrew the two screws in the lower half of the faceplate and pull it outwards and you'll see the test socket.
Please let us know if that speeds things up at all - you may not notice it when downloading but if you check the sync speed on your router's pages you should see an improvement?
GR4CE
Rising Star

Yes, Matt.
The router is directly connected to the master socket (i.e. mastersocket + filter + one single line directly to the router).
On the phone bit of the filter there's a splitter for 2 lines (both with additional filters before the phone and fax machine)
I've just took the MS face off and plugged the router directly, but the sync speed seems to vary between the same values, although Downstream went down ...
Connection Speed 6894 kbps 1096 kbps
Line Attenuation 48.5 db 22.4 db
Noise Margin 6.6 db 5.5 db  
After a reboot:
Connection Speed 6937 kbps 1100 kbps
Noise Margin 6.4 db 6.0 db
It's really strange because at times it feels somewhat faster (not by loads though and considering I'm about 1.5 miles from the exchange I don't expect miracles Smiley ). But I find it really strange that the figures reported by the router and the speedtests (even BTspeedtests) are similar to the ones I had before the upgrade.
Edit:
Just to add that I put back things as they were originally and got this:
Connection Speed 7290 kbps 1088 kbps
Noise Margin 6.1 db 6.2 db
Up and down like footballers' socks  Cheesy 
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: GR4CE
The router is directly connected to the master socket (i.e. mastersocket + filter + one single line directly to the router).
On the phone bit of the filter there's a splitter for 2 lines (both with additional filters before the phone and fax machine)

That sounds a bit iffy to me - you are double filtering the phone and fax machine, as everything ends up at the same filter. Try removing the "additional filters" so that you have Master socket>filter>router plus double socket and extensions direct to phone and fax.
GR4CE
Rising Star

I didn't explain clearly. That's how it is on the master socket. The filters for the phone and the fax machine are at their own ends because the extensions are a bit long.
Anyway, I doubt that makes any difference because I also tested without anything plugged in other than the router.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The length of the extension cables makes no difference - if the extensions are plugged in to a microfilter at the master socket end, they don't need microfilters anywhere else in the circuit.
I take your point about not working when just the router is connected, but the set-up you have will not be helping.