Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Tones & Bitloading

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: ADSL2+ Tones & Bitloading

Thanks for that Mr. Eagle, that all looks very interesting. Most of us run DMT and/or RouterStats and that looks a useful addition. Funnily enough I started to read a thread over there the other day on this sort of thing, and needless to say a few of your posts cropped up  Wink
GrahamC
Grafter

Hi Bald_Eagle
thanks for the info, certainly is an impressive array of graphs  Wink
Not sure if I can make use of it though as the telnet operation of my router is different to that of the Netgears (requires interactive login). I'll take a look and see if I can come up with some edit that will work although my batch and script file skills are rather dated now  Sad
cheers
Graham
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Hi GrahamC,

Just for curiosity, which router do you use & how do you get into a telnet session?
Some Netgears use http://admin:password@192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug to allow telnet access & some then also need to log in via admin & password to get to the busybox shell.
The HG612 (using a Broadcom 6368 chip) just uses admin, admin, sh
The scripts take care of that (no interaction required) & also run the xdslcmd info --stats or adsctl info --stats commands.
Cheers,
Paul.
GrahamC
Grafter

Hi Paul
The router is a Zoom X7n. At the mo I run a DOS command prompt and telnet directly to the router (see attached). The firmware offers both the adsl and adslctl commands so no problem there.
I've yet to discover if I can login via a script or batch file and get any useful output, as I said my scripting is a little rusty, i.e. not used since Win95  Cheesy
cheers
Graham
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

@ Graham,
Quote from: GrahamC
The router is a Zoom X7n. At the mo I run a DOS command prompt and telnet directly to the router (see attached). The firmware offers both the adsl and adslctl commands so no problem there.

I thnk you may have "forgotten" to attach the attachment  Undecided
My own scripting isn't rusty as I haven't been doing any for long enough.
If BT OR hadn't supplied locked HG612 modems for FTTC connections I wouldn't have done any at all, as someone else would have already developed some software for us to see/graph our connection stats.
Having got the scripts working reliably with automated telnet logins (via Plink, not Windows Telnet)  - (eventually) it then just seemed natural to adapt them for use with some routers on ADSL connections.

Cheers,
Paul.
GrahamC
Grafter

Whoops  Embarrassed
Done so far:
Edited scripts to use 192.168.1.1
Edited Login.txt files for correct user/password details
Ouput so far....

11/06/2012 22:10:08.79 ***** It looks as though Plink had some sort of problem*****
BCM96328 Broadband Router
Login: admin
Password:
Login incorrect. Try again.
Login: exit
^@
Password: Login incorrect. Try again.
Login: 
Let's see what is still running that might have caused the problem

11/06/2012 22:10:08.79 - Is curl running?
INFO: No tasks are running which match the specified criteria.
11/06/2012 22:10:08.79 - Curl wasn't killed - Maybe it wasn't running

11/06/2012 22:10:08.79 - Is plink running?
11/06/2012 22:10:08.79 - Plink wasn't killed - Maybe it wasn't running

11/06/2012 22:10:08.79 - Is sleep running?
11/06/2012 22:10:08.79 - Sleep wasn't killed - Maybe it wasn't running
11/06/2012 22:10:09.15 ***** Start of getstats.BAT data collection ERRORS **************************************

plink was running and is still running  Shocked
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

This may all end up being a non-starter for your router, but if it does work, it can all be done via a double-click.

Although we are using Windows, the Login.TXT files need to be saved in Linux format for SOME routers (e.g. Netgear) i.e. line endings cannot be LF/CR as per Windows line endings.
Careful editing of the original login files is therefore needed if using Notepad to edit them.
Some, however, such as the HG612 need the login files to have Windows line endings.
It might be worth experimenting with different line ending formats.
The supplied Login files were saved in Linux format.
I created/saved them with Textpad (a freely downloadable multi-function text editor).
When you login manually via Telnet, do you usually see something similar to this:-

BusyBox v1.00 (2008.10.21-10:23+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1153 Kbps, Downstream rate = 10896 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                  ADSL2+
Channel:                Fast
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):      7.1            7.8
Attn(dB):      26.5            15.3
Pwr(dBm):      19.1            12.3
Max(Kbps):      10404          1186
Rate (Kbps):    10896          1153
                        G.dmt framing
K:              159(0)          18
R:              12              12
S:              1              8
D:              64              8
                        ADSL2 framing
MSGc:          63              13
B:              158            17
M:              1              8
T:              2              7
R:              12              12
S:              0.4654          3.9619
L:              2939            315
D:              64              8
                        Counters
SF:            53152          53315
SFErr:          2              30625
RS:            7334994        860727
RSCorr:        689            298992
RSUnCorr:      4              0
GrahamC
Grafter

Muchas gracias Paul
I re-edited the login text files to Unix style line endings (LF not CR/LF) and managed to get logged in  Grin but still had this in Error.log

12/06/2012  9:14:39.65 ***** It looks as though Plink had some sort of problem*****
BCM96328 Broadband Router
Login: admin
Password:
> adslctl info --stats
telnetd:error:837.271:processInput:432:unrecognized command adslctl info --stats
>
> exit
Bye bye. Have a nice day!!!

Let's see what is still running that might have caused the problem

12/06/2012  9:14:39.65 - Is curl running?
12/06/2012  9:14:39.65 - Curl wasn't killed - Maybe it wasn't running

12/06/2012  9:14:39.65 - Is plink running?
12/06/2012  9:14:39.65 - Plink wasn't killed - Maybe it wasn't running

12/06/2012  9:14:39.65 - Is sleep running?
12/06/2012  9:14:39.65 - Sleep wasn't killed - Maybe it wasn't running
12/06/2012  9:14:39.96 ***** Start of getstats.BAT data collection ERRORS **************************************

After re-reading the CLI manual for the router, it's apparent that "adslctl" command is not supported*. Not to be defeated, I've edited all instances of "adslctl" to read "adsl" and presto, all is running and currently compiling data.
Attached is the Current Stats compilation.
BTW, used Notepad2 for the editing which is a programmers editor and allows some neat customisations in the way it operates  Wink
* misled by DMT which seems to work with both commands ????
cheers
Graham
EDIT: Seems like the output from the Netgears and this router are formatted differently. I'm currently editing the .BAT file to suit and will post back once I have some results.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

EDIT: Seems like the output from the Netgears and this router are formatted differently. I'm currently editing the .BAT file to suit and will post back once I have some results.

I'm please that you got it working. I hope it is of some use to you.
If nothing else, you now have sufficient gnuplot & ImageMagick basics in the Apps folders for graphing all sorts of data from columns of text file data.
By different format, do you mean regarding the missing data from the current stats montage, or the ongoing stats harvesting (or both)?
An example of intended portrait montage appearance is attached along with my own FTTC connection's IP Profiles over almost 12 months.
GrahamC
Grafter

Hi Paul,
the output for the adslctl/adsl command has a number of differences, mainly in how the Attainable and Sync rates are produced, see comparison below.
Netgear:

# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1153 Kbps, Downstream rate = 10896 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                   ADSL2+
Channel:                Fast
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):       7.1             7.8
Attn(dB):       26.5            15.3
Pwr(dBm):       19.1            12.3
Max(Kbps):      10404           1186
Rate (Kbps):    10896           1153

Zoom:

> adsl info --stats
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status:  0
Max:    Upstream rate = 1144 Kbps, Downstream rate = 23132 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 1147 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21295 Kbps
Link Power State:      L0
Mode:                  ADSL2+
TPS-TC:                ATM Mode
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        1.5            6.5
Attn(dB):        15.0            9.6
Pwr(dBm):        0.0            12.0

I have it working now and it's been running for just 30 minutes so far. I'll post up the montage one I have a couple of hours of data to plot.
GrahamC
Grafter

Here we go:
Graphs are over a 2 hour period, not sure on some of the data, I'll dig around some more, but most looks OK.
cheers
Graham
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Graham,
"not sure on some of the data" ? - do you mean the US RS stuff being plotted (RHS middle graphs), also DS RS words?
Just a few quick other things at the moment, did you have problems getting RouterStats telnet working? I thought you'd got it going OK. On the Telnet Experimental settings tab, I had to change the Command set to "adsl info --stats" for my Broadcom chipset (it is an older one mind).
However I'm still having problems getting it to plot the Bits/Tone etc which is strange because DMT does it fine.
Looking at it another way, it is that my line does not suffer from RF interference at all, and should not have any tones marked as unusable.

Ah, ha. Don't assume that. You aren't suffering any obvious broadcast interference. Don't forget there will be a very large number of other pairs in the cable back to the exchange and there will be small coupling effects between them all. Now whether for some strange reason that causes the effects that you are seeing, well who knows, but one to bear in mind?
One other possibility of course is some strange interaction between modem/router Broadcom chipsets and the IFTN/TI MSAN.
By the way I didn't have a problem telnetting in either using Windows Telnet at the Run box or Telnet in a Cmd prompt (XPSP3).
PS. You still forgot the attachment on reply #18  Wink
GrahamC
Grafter

Yes, US and DS RS, the graphs quote Corrected errors, but I presume these are just the count of "RS words".
On routerstats, all is running OK, but I did have to open out the polling time for the bitloading. It's on the Bits/Tone - Options tab under Refresh Timing. I've set mine to 2 minutes as anything less seems to interfere with RS's normal operation.
The comment on RF interference was in regard to the AM Radio broadcasts that x47c was obviously suffering from. Now crosstalk with other subscriber cabling is a different matter, and one I've yet to explore. Maybe I need to enroll at BTOR although my Telecom education is a little dated now (Plessey Telecom circa '75  Wink )
I've not ruled out the MSAN/Chipset interaction, especially with the bad press that TI DSLAMS had early on with ADSL.  Sad
As for Telnet, the DOS box as far as I know is not scriptable, these scripts use a util called Plink so something I've not come across before, but I'm always one for a challenge  Cheesy
The attachment...errrr got attached to post#20  Huh
cheers
Graham
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Yes, US and DS RS, the graphs quote Corrected errors, but I presume these are just the count of "RS words".

Ooops!
The Y-axis label is incorrect for some of the graphs.
I hadn't noticed.
That was my fault for just copying & pasting when converting from my VDSL2 scripts to ADSL scripts.
I don't have access to an ADSL connection & as I was unable to test things myself, I overlooked that.
It's easy enough to change the axis labels to something else though:-
e.g. echo set ylabel 'US_RS' >> US_RS.gnp or whatever.......

GrahamC
Grafter

Smiley
No problem Paul and thanks for the heads up and help
cheers
Graham