cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Speed issue

flabbio
Grafter

ADSL2+ Speed issue

Have been on the ADSL2+ trial now for a while and I'm having serious speed issues.  I raised a support ticket and was informed that BT had me on a 'banded profile' and that this would be reset but unfortunately that hasn't made a difference.
Now I've been told that there is nothing more to be done to improve my service so I've gone from a very stable 4mb connection to anything between 800k and 3.5mb !
Surely I should expect an improvement rather than a degradation in service after moving to a 'new and improved' technology?
20 REPLIES 20
lenseman
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ Speed issue

I have endured a similar problem, not quite as bad but certainly a deteriorated service.
My once rock steady Max connection was totally ruined by ADSL2+, I think the only way out is to migrate to an ISP that will listen and act on their customers faults instead of fobbing them off all the time.
Maybe the amount we pay per month should be reflected in the service we get, i.e. in my case the connection speed was in the 7000kbps+ now it is banded at 4540kbps a drop of nearly 50%. So maybe I should cancel the direct debit and pay by a variable standing order and instead of paying £15,99 only pay £8.00.
Mind you it would be easier to join O2 and only pay £9.79 for unlimited up to 20meg knowing I would get around 6500kbps.
John B.
grahamt
Rising Star

ADSL2+ give you better speeds if you have either a very good connection or a very bad one beforehand, but as I understand it there's a range in the middle (2-5mb/s?) where you shouldn't expect much improvement - except in upload speed.
Graham
scootie
Grafter

@lenseman.
its not plusnets fault that BTw have redisgned the DLM with banded profiles and plusnet have there hands tied on this matter.
but you may like to know plusnet have opend a case with BTw to ask for somthing to be done about the banded profiles as so many are affected by them here.
ive not seen any eveidnce of any other BTw resellers trialing 21cn do the same for there customers
flabbio
Grafter

Unbelieveable.  Downstream has just dropped to below my upstream speed. 644k has been the lowest ever!

Getting a bit [Censored] off now
dick:red Avoidance of swear filter mod:end
flabbio
Grafter

aaaagggghhhhh.
537k downstream.  Is someone having a laff here?
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: grahamt
ADSL2+ give you better speeds if you have either a very good connection or a very bad one beforehand, but as I understand it there's a range in the middle (2-5mb/s?) where you shouldn't expect much improvement - except in upload speed.
Graham

It's not an issue of improvement though, it's the fact we're seeing huge drops in speed so ADSL2+ is actually worse than ADSL.
My issue isn't with sync speeds though which are relatively stable, but the throughput which jumps up and down all over the place. The biggest problem is the speed can be down to 0.5Mbps which is barely even Broadband speed!. Before ADSL2+ it was generally a solid 5Mbps for non-throttled traffic.
Though I accept this is a trial. The question is, if this is really what ADSL2+ is all about, is there a way back to ADSL? Someone mentioned you could change the router from ADSL2+ or an auto setting to use the old ADSL mode if it supports changing it.
scootie
Grafter

yes you can change the mode on most routers. but you will still be routed across the 21cn network so if there is congestion there it will not matter what mode your syncing with.
i currently use the best effort add on which BT say they will give me at least 3mb for 80% of peak time.
As i only sync at 3000kbps i couldnt tell you if this works as my thoughput is pretty much allways been the best my line takes so couldnt say if there is congestion or not at my exchange as i see no diffrence.
But i very much doubt there is a 21cn congestion problem at my exchange as i know a plusnet staff member has a 21cn line at the same exchange and would of most likely raised this here if he was seeing thourgput problems
deadkenny
Rising Star

What's this "best effort add on"?
Could be 21cn congestion in my case, but isn't it about time capacity was sorted out, especially if BT are rolling customers out to 21cn on a non-trial basis. That's going by the flyer I got from them saying I could get better than my 6Mbps with them on 21cn, which frankly is rubbish as with PN I'm getting anywhere between 512kbps and 2Mbps at peak! Sad
matt_2k34
Grafter

Your on a trial, why are you expecting supreme service instantly? theres going to be hiccups.
alot of people on the trial are having problems with speed (BTw is fully aware of this!)
PN are at the mercy of BT and the DLMs which are in the telephone exchange. When PN roll out their 20mb service then id expect issues, but its still a trial afterall, patience is a virtue.
If the training period has gone by.. and there is no capacity issues at the telephone exchange - Raise a speed fault using the members center (ticket) but tbh its just a case of waiting for the service to settle down.
deadkenny
Rising Star

As I said
Though I accept this is a trial. The question is, if this is really what ADSL2+ is all about?

I'm fine with it if this is just what to expect on the trial due to glitches, but what I want to know is if this is what it will be like when live?
Also, I got the impression the trial was more just about testing PN's roll out process, not the technical nature of 21cn and BT's implementation, and again I say if it's BT's problem, how come they aren't "trialling" their customers but are rolling them out live? Do their customers get the same problems?
If this was about trialling the network, I'd have expected some desire for feedback from the customer. I'd also expect some feedback from PN/BT.
matt_2k34
Grafter

BTr customers will be suffering from the same Aggressive DLM problems that PN are - They are just buying the service from BTw like other ISPs...
The reason they have rolled it out "live" is because they have too .. with people like o2 offering ADSL2+ speeds, they need to get cracking or consider losing a big share of the market.
Also BTw has targets to get more people on faster BB lines .. there also trialling FTTC/FTTH implementations .. so theres alot going on in terms of 'playing' with what they can offer, they just have to actually invest... its going to be a big project to do the nation dont forget, and ADSL2+ means they have to replace all the DLMs in the exchange.. there not exactly small bits of kit to replace 😉
dinosaurdad

I can assure you BT customers are experienceing the same problems but customers have to deal with an indian call centre. 21cn is offered at an additional cost imagine what they have to say when they experince the same probs. 21cn is also offered to openreach engineers at an additional cost, BT managers cant understand why they are turning the offer down.
deadkenny
Rising Star

So are we expecting a solution to this or is 21CN a failure?
Can we have some updates from PN on the trial so we know the position?
flabbio
Grafter

I speak to BT engineers regularly in the course of my work and when you mention 21CN they roll their eyes!
I'm fully aware that it is a trial and I fully expected problems with the service before I signed up for it.   What I didnt expect was to be told that there was nothing that could be done about the problems I'm experiencing.  
Any product trial is just a feeback loop where the new product is tested,  the user reports problems, the vendor makes a change and the new version is tested, the user reports problems etc. etc.
If the user reports problems and the vendor says 'tough' then essentially the trial is over and thats your final product.