cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2 + Retired products

David_W
Rising Star

ADSL2 + Retired products

I'm currently very happy on Premier, umm, the one where you get 20Gb peak rate and stuff and very happy on it.  It's not something I really want to change but I also am interested in the faster speeds of ADSL2+
Why will Plusnet not allow those of us on older products to stick with them and move to ADSL2?  I'm happy enough to have my speed bumped up (I reckon I'd get 14Mb) and stick with 25% of the peak rate capacity (20Gb rather than 80Gb) as well as continue playing the £21 or whatever it is I pay per month to be on this older product.  Allowing us to stay on a product we find suits us perfectly and seems to be a better product for PN too (60Gb of peak rate bandwidth saved there) seems like a pretty decent idea to me.
I can understand why you don't want people on current Unlimited to stick with that, but for those of us on a "premier" package, even if its no longer available, if we're happy to stick with a much lower download allowance, would PN allow us to remain on our (very) old package and enjoy ADSL2?  Is this something PN will look at in the future?
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: ADSL2 + Retired products

I don't believe that we've reached a concrete decision on which of our older products will be able to move to ADSL2+.
Stay tuned for more news on that in the future.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From the FAQs
17. I’ve been a customer for some time.  Will I get an upgrade to ADSL2+?
Provided your exchange has been enabled, certain older products will be included in our upgrade programme of batch migrations. We’ll give you more information about these plans shortly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

This is puzzling. I am also on Premier Option 1 and happy with it. My contract is up in a few weeks so I've just made a call to the sales people enquiring about transferring to Premium or Pro in due course (probably the latter). My exchange has been enabled for 21CN (quote "BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN") so I assumed that I would be eligible for the "up to 20GB" service.
I'm about 2km from the exchange and have been synced at 8096kbps for a long time (weeks) on Premier Option 1, but I've just been told that all that can be assured on Premium or Pro is "up to 6000kbps". Why???  If I can currently sync at 8000 why is the "system" saying that Premium or Pro is only good for 6000kbps?
David_W
Rising Star

Thanks for that Jelv, I must have missed it reading the faq  Embarrassed  Would be very nice to be able to continue using my current plan!  I'll have to watch the space that James is pointing to so I can see if my current product can continue Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@nozzer
Put your attenuation in to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php and it will tell you the sort of speed to expect.
nozzer
Hero

Thanks...  that comes out at 12352kbps. So why, I wonder, was I quoted "6000kbps on BT IPStream Max" for the Premium service? I thought IPSMax was a different animal from 21CN.
SparckZero
Grafter

I would say it looks like the speed advisor hasn't been updated to account for the new ADSL2+ speeds.
nozzer
Hero

But the sales people (or the one I spoke to yesterday at any rate) seem to be saying that the Premium and Pro products are on IPSMax. I thought they were on ADSL2+. Is this not correct?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It depends if your exchange is enabled, but those are the products that are provisioned on the up to 20Mb service if it's available. I'll check for any notes on your account in case any education is required.
mvdb
Grafter

Hi,
FYI raised another ticket under stuck IP Profiles as well with regards to speed..
But a question here on products:
1) am on Premier Option 1 as well since about 3.5 years
2) my exchange is enabled
3) I am on the pilot.
4) the pilot has ended now is my understanding...
so where does that leave my line? Premier Option 1 but with ADSL2+ or has my line been moved back / what will happen?
Do note as said that I have had performance issues.....
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Trialists will be staying on ADSL2+ (including those whose accounts don't give faster speeds as an option).
From the FAQ:
13. I’m on the ADSL2+ trial, will you be moving me back to ‘up to 8Mb’ or are you going to start charging me more?
We’d like to say thank you to our many customers who took part in the ADSL2+ trial.  Your involvement has provided us with the feedback and testing that helped us to launch the new products.  In way of a small thank you, you’ll stay on ADSL2+ at no extra charge.
mvdb
Grafter

Hi,
just to understand how do you mean at no extra charge? Am now at 21.99,... have a lower speed than before (until performance is sorted)..
If I would switch over formally to a ADSL2+ offer you have, I would be off cheaper...
or?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You should be able to take advantage of any of the products (and offers) subject to the relevant terms.
You might well be cheaper but check the full detils of each product (Included bandwidth, traffic shaping etc.)
You may have options for free hardware / hosemove or similar in return for contract term, you may choose not to take these options.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:ADSL2 + Retired products

Hi mvdb,
As has been stated you're welcome to remain on the premier product on the 21CN speeds if you wish, though you can move to one of the new products if you'd prefer to do that.