Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ No change

MikeG88
Dabbler

ADSL2+ No change

Hi,
My exchange upgraded last week to ADSL2+ but my speeds haven't changed at all. I have a compatible router (Draytek Vigor 2820n) and I have asked Plusnet to change the profile which they say they have done. When I checked in my Plusnet account it says:
Telephone number:
01258xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
MILTON ABBAS
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-08-02 12:42:56
Current line speed:
7.1 Mb
My router seems to have sensed its now on ADSL2+ and has set accordingly. I have the latest firmware installed.
My question then is why aren't I getting any changes whatsoever? Do i need to change something else or maybe switch to BT Broadband to get the speeds?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dick:green Personal details (full telephone number) edited out of a public forum.
24 REPLIES 24
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: ADSL2+ No change

Can you post the stats reported by your router (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin), the results of a BT diagnostic speed test and the current line speed reported by https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MikeG88
Dabbler

Hi Jelv,
I'll do my best to answer your questions.

ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
  ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 443928 22616606 2 17
The BT tester showed:
Download Speed: 6.52
Upload Speed: 0.15
Ping Latency; 27.63
Plusnet reported line speed:
Telephone number:
xxxxx
Phone exchange:
MILTON ABBAS
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-08-02 12:42:56
Current line speed:
7.1 Mb
Hope the above helps
Thanks for your help
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: MikeG88
The BT tester showed:
Download Speed: 6.52
Upload Speed: 0.15
Ping Latency; 27.63

That test is from the beta tester, the one that's needed is from the diagnostic tester, which is the button on the left. The diagnostic tester gives the BT IP Profile. Based on your sync speed that should be around 19950kbps and you should get excellent download speeds when the current problem is resolved,
It looks like Plusnet might still have your connection down as 20CN - perhaps haven't been notified that migration to 21CN is complete.
David
MikeG88
Dabbler

Sorry, I pressed the wrong button.
I ran the correct test and the results are:
Best effort Test:  6.43 Download speed, Max Achievable 21Mbps
Achieved: 6.43
Acceptable range: 4-21mbps
IP Profile for your line - 19.95mbps
Upstream:
Achieved - 0.23
Profile - 0.45mbps
Thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That shows a BT IP Profile of 19.95Mbps which ties up with the value I expected. Smiley
Hopefully a staff member will be along soon to complete their side of the migration.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi MikeG88,
I have checked your profile and we have currently got it set correctly for ADSL2+.
I would advise a soft disconnect by logging into your routers interface and click disconnect, then power down and leave off for a few minutes. Power your router back on and you will need to login to your router again and click connect.
Then check your speeds again.
Let me know how you get on.
MikeG88
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I ended up calling Plusnet tech help today in frustration. After checking the line etc, they admitted that the person who should have activated my new profile at Plusnet hadn't done it as he said he would. They then went away for a 'manual intervention' (whatever that is) and the download speed increased to 13mbps within 15 minutes. Pity they didnt get it right first time when the said they would and it would have saved me a lot of anxiety.
Anyway, its now in its 10 day 'training period' I guess as speeds are bouncing all over the place. Lets hope it stabilises at some decent speed.
The only thing i'm left worrying about is an upload speed that seems 'capped' at 0.30 mbps. It hasnt improved at all. My son uploads youtube vids and upload speed is critical for him. It seems that either BT or Plusnet are unable to improve on crappy upload speeds. Its difficult to live with a poor upload speed and I was hoping ADSL2+ would help that, but alas no. Ho hum.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just raise a ticket asking for your upload to be uncapped. Given your download speed you should see a decent improvement in upload when that is done.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MikeG88
Dabbler

Ok, will do - i'll raise another ticket. Thanks for your help and advice on this.
What I dont understand is why Plusnet are capping any part of my service in the first place. The BT exchange is capable of full 21CN speeds but its Plusnet who are causing me these issues. Can I assume that if I switch to BT they will give me the full 'uncapped' service without all this hassle?
Mike
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Mike,
We historically provided ADSL2+ with the upload capped to 448k as during our initial trial period there were concerns about increased fault rates when uncapping the upload speed. We're in the process now of uncapping everyone's upload.
I can see one of my colleagues has picked up your ticket and placed the order to remove the upload cap now, that should complete tomorrow but may take a couple of days.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MikeG88
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, i'll keep an eye on the speed.
Cheers
Mike
MikeG88
Dabbler

Well, its now 4 days later and nothing has changed, except my download speed has gone down to below 10mbps,. My upload speed remains exactly the same at sub 0.30, seems to be stuck at 0.25mbps. It seems unlikely that Plusnet have changed anything at their end despite the promise that they would.
Unless I get a speed increase by Monday or some explanation why its so bad, then lunchtime Monday I order BT Broadband and see if they can do any better.
Shame really
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: MikeG88
.... I order BT Broadband and see if they can do any better.
Shame really

Yes, particularly as they WON'T do any better.  I don't know if you are referring to your sync rate or a measured upload speed.  If it is the former then there is a fault on your line which won't be cured by a change of ISP.  If it is the latter then the same is probably true but less certain.  Is there audible noise on your telephone line?  There has been in other instances where I have seen this type of fault.
MikeG88
Dabbler

So far my experience with Plusnet hasnt been good. Everytime they promise to do something they fail to deliver. They promised to uncap the download and didnt and the same has happened with upload speeds. I am not a technician, but I can run a speedtest and I can see my upload speed hasnt changed despite Chris saying that it would. BT may not do any better, but they sure as hell cant do any worse!