cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Modem only recommendations? (Speed increase over ADSL?)

re-create-it
Grafter

ADSL2+ Modem only recommendations? (Speed increase over ADSL?)

I'm currently running an old non-ADSL modem so need to upgrade to get ADSL2+.
I also have a D Link DIR-655 wireless router, that's set up to handle all my Wifi connections as well as IP addresses and port forwarding (important!), etc.  My static IP address passes through the modem and hits the router.
I want to get a new modem only but lots seem to be routers too - I want to leave all routing duties to the DIR-655 so I can stick with the already configured router for my existing network.
Anything I need to be aware of? I was looking at the ZyXEL and can see that it's on the community list of working hardware.
http://www.ebuyer.com/148034-zyxel-prestige-660r-d1-adsl-modem-router-91-004-556021b
Does this look like it'll do the trick or should I get an all in one box and resign myself to reconfiguring it all again?
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: ADSL2+ Modem only recommendations?

If you want a pure ADSL modem then this: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html is a quality product.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
grudkin
Grafter

Unfortunately The Vigor 120 uses an Infineon Amazon-SE chipset and Infineon are not very good in my experiences!
For the best line performance I would look for equipment using a Broadcom chipset.
Edit;
Upon searching for information for the ZyXEL Prestige 660R, I have discovered that it uses the TI AR7 chipset, again I would look for something that uses a Broadcom Chipset!
Have you checked out the D-Link DSL-320B?
dick:quote
re-create-it
Grafter

Thanks, yes, I was looking at the DSL-320B, hoping it would work well with my existing D-Link router.
I saw some negative reviews on ebuyer about DHCP/bridging - but then noticed the date is from 2009 so probably not valid any more with firmware updates?
http://www.ebuyer.com/172946-d-link-dsl-320b-uk-adsl2-ethernet-modem-annex-a-dsl-320b-uk
I've also found a plusnet guide to setting this up so know it's supported, think that could well be the one.
grudkin
Grafter

It has just occurred to me that the DSL-320B probably will NOT support IPv6!
re-create-it
Grafter

Thanks for the help and tips, I went for the D-Link DSL 320B.  Set it in bridge mode and plugged in, was up and running immediately without having to change my router config, everything running fine.
Only problem is I've not seen any speed increase yet.
Modem plugged into the master socket with a filter
No extensions on the line at all
I removed the 3rd bell wire while I was upgrading the modem
1.3km from the exchange
Current line speed is only 2.7MB and nothing has changed with the new modem.  It was installed Friday lunch time.  Do I need to do anything else to see the benefit of "2+" or is it just a case of wait for the line to pick up the new hardware and for my profile to be updated?
Bullet
Grafter

Please post your router stats (see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php for help in getting these)
Has the sync speed increased since moving to ADSL2+ ?
For me it took 24 hours for the Plusnet IP Profile to increase to match the new sync speed.
The bt speedtester will tell you your current exchange IP Profile.
re-create-it
Grafter

Cheers.
No, there has been no sync speed change since installing the modem on Friday morning (72 hours now).
My router (D Link DIR-655) doesn't display the connection stats (just status and IP address). The only way I can see it would be to connect direct to the modem, take it out of bridge mode and connect directly with my login details and read the settings.  I would then need to set it back to bridged and reconnect the modem.
This will cause a line disconnect, which I am worried could then affect the profile again.  If it won't affect the profile I'll give it a go tonight.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: ADSL2+ Modem only recommendations? (Speed increase over ADSL?)

I've just changed your profile to match your current sync speed. Give it a try and let us know if you see any improvement.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team