Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL wont connect on newly installed telephone socket

bbrazil
Dabbler

Re: ADSL wont connect on newly installed telephone socket

Thanks guys.
One more update. A telephone socket upstairs did not work when the faceplate was removed from the master socket. Does this perhaps imply that the master socket is wired up correctly, or is one socket working when the faceplate is removed enough to prove that the master socket is wired incorrectly?
It sounds like there is an issue with the master socket. Matt, you said that therefore this is BT's issue. Do I get them to come round now to sort this out?
Thanks,
Ben
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: bbrazil
I have two separate telephone lines / numbers coming into my house.

A typical incoming BT cable or "drop wire" will only have 4 cores, i.e. can carry 2 circuits.
Trying to then wire in a "looped back" extension via a third circuit is doomed to failure.  Angry
Get a PROPER PROFESSIONAL engineer in to sort it out.
(and don't pay the first one)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A telephone socket upstairs did not work when the faceplate was removed from the master socket. Does this perhaps imply that the master socket is wired up correctly, or is one socket working when the faceplate is removed enough to prove that the master socket is wired incorrectly?

When you remove the faceplate to the master socket then ALL the extensions sockets should stop working.  So the implication is that you have one extension socket upstairs that is wired correctly and the rest are not.  But your "cowboy" might have somehow bridged the wiring so I do not think you can be sure your wiring was bad before he came.
knowdice
Rising Star

Sounds like upstairs extension is the wires that you can see punched down on the back of the removable part of the master socket - not exactly a good punch down job  Undecided
The rest of you extensions could be wired directly off your outside junction box or the input to the master socket.
As said this is not good both from a technical point of view with respect to getting the best broadband performance, or from a safety point of view as it bypasses the spark-gap safety device on the input to the master socket.
lexusuk
Grafter

@bbrazil
I would strongly recommend to get in touch with your telephone provider with regards to your new line.  The fact that your telephone line does not ring when receiving incoming calls at the test socket is definitely a fault and your provider will be able to address this for you.
knowdice
Rising Star

I forgot to mention in my original post that when a telephone is connected to the new socket the phone does not ring when an incoming call comes in.

From your pictures the new extension is wired on to a secondary socket, so if that's wired to your outside junction box then that's why the phone doesn't ring.
If you call in BT it will cost you  Embarrassed but it very much sounds like your wiring does need a good clean-up...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

I'm confused here  Huh
I have two separate telephone lines / numbers coming into my house.

In that case surely there should be 2 master sockets. We only seem to have one...
It certainly sounds like the wiring is incorrect  but, if we really have 2 lines here, could the fact that BB doesn't work on the new socket be due to it being wired to the 2nd line,which doesn't have BB active !!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

I have attached a photo of the master socket with the faceplate removed:
I have also attached a photo of the newly installed socket.
Is there anything visibly wrong with the wiring from this end?

They don't look good do they  Cry , here's my immediate observations for starters:
1. bare wires inserted in IDC connectors - wrong.
2. two bell wires in master connector 3 - from 1 cable!
3. but they then appear to go to 3 and 4 in the extension!
4. contacts in extension visibly very bent out of alignment
As I said earlier, don't pay him and get a proper professional to sort it out. Make sure they know you have 2 lines.
Anyone who knows about broadband wouldn't connect the bell wire at all.  Wink
bbrazil
Dabbler

Hi All,
thanks again for all of your advice. I've worked out what the engineer did. I've got two separate lines coming into my house each with a broadband connection. One from Plusnet and one from BT. The engineer has added a new socket to my second line which I rarely use. I dont have a phone connected to this line on a permanent basis. Obviously when ringing the phone number I expected the new socket to be connected to it did not ring. My Plusnet router obviously did not connect as the new socket is on a different number with BT broadband.
So, phones attached to this new socket do ring and I am also able to get my BT broadband working with my BT configured router. 
I guess what this episode has highlighted is that the engineer has wired up the socket directly to the junction box which he shouldnt have done. It has also highlighted that the wiring in on my main telephone line needs attention.
Thanks,
Ben.
bbrazil
Dabbler

I also have a significant speed difference between my BT broadband ADSL and my Plusnet broadband ADSL.
I get about 6000 kbps on my BT broadband whereas I get about 2000 kbps on my Plustnet broadband.
On my Plusnet connection settings page I see the following:
Estimated line speed:Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).Current line speed: 2 Mb
Is Plusnet capping my speed or could the wiring issues on my Plusnet line be the cause of the speed difference?
Thanks,
Ben
HPsauce
Pro

could the wiring issues on my Plusnet line be the cause of the speed difference?

Almost certainly.
Post some stats from your router for analysis.
bbrazil
Dabbler

Here are some stats:
HPsauce
Pro

Your connection speed "could" be about 7.5mbps but is actually just over 3mbps.
That's usually down to a wiring problem (but not always).
Your SN margin is 9dB (usually 6) suggesting errors have been detected as well.
Your "connection speed" is probably the IP profile, it should be somewhat nearer the connection speed unless errors have been detected.....
Nuff sed?  Wink
(you know what you need to do)
bbrazil
Dabbler

Thanks,
looks like I've got a bit of re-wiring to do.
lexusuk
Grafter

Your connection speed does look lower than we'd expect.  This is likely down to the internal wiring issues identified.
If you plug your Plusnet router in to the test socket we'd be able to retest this and check for an improvement.