Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL speed SE1 central London

david4
Hooked

ADSL speed SE1 central London

Hi

This evening I came round to my technophobe brother's to sort out a chromecast for him. As this would lead to increased internet activity we changed his very old package to an unlimited one. To do that we had to reset the password. I then updated the password in router interface to the new password. The router reported an internet connection both with LEDS and on user interface. However I could not connect to any web page via my brothers laptop or my phone. Pinging the Google home page timed out. 

Some hours later I am now getting a very slow internet connection again. He has reported to me that the internet speed had been reduced in the last few weeks -at points becoming unuseable - I appreciate that is anecdotal. Prior to changing the password I got a download speed of 0.4Mb/s. It appears to be approximately that again - which is still clearly very poor. But for several hours it was effectively not operational at all - which I am now thinking was coincidental to changing the password.

I'd be grateful for any advice. I wonder what other people get on an ADSL line in this central london area. Down the road in SE5 I get about 5Mb/s on similarly old router - which although is a bit rubbish does me for the moment.

I have opened a ticket with plusnet so am hoping there is something that can be done ' down the line'.

David Lewis

2 REPLIES 2
david4
Hooked

Re: ADSL speed SE1 central London

Further to my comments I did the BT performance test:

"Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.54 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps"

What determines the IP Profile and why is it set low? Who should I get to look at this?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: ADSL speed SE1 central London

The IP profile is set based on the 'sync speed' of the router to the exchange. So if the connection speed between router and exchange increases, the profile increases too.

I'm happy to take a look at your brother's account it you can PM me his username: Please send me a private message

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.