cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL or ADSL2??

MrPercent

ADSL or ADSL2??

I'm meant to be on ADSL2 (Plusnet Premium), but my modem, Draytek 2800VG is showing connection mode G.DMT
I've tried setting the mode to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) , but it always comes up G.DMT.
Does this mean that the line hasn't gone to ADSL2? Or will ADSL2 come up G.DMT...
  tia,
  Mr%
30 REPLIES 30
Mand
Grafter

Re: ADSL or ADSL2??

Hi there,
You're on ADSL2+, with a connection profile of 6500. What speed are you syncing at?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

G.DMT is G.992.1 or ADSL1. I recall some while ago there was as issue with firmware on the 2800 which limited synch speeds to 7.5M. It was a couple of years ago and particularly a problem with Be (LLU), but since that was prior to 21CN it may also be a problem with that. Check if you have the latest firmware, or maybe even try another router if possible...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ramidoodle
Grafter

Your line is on the 21CN platform but using IPStream Max (ADSL1). Would you like us to regrade it to ADSL2+ instead?
zone8
Grafter

Hello RamiDoodle,
Everyone is being moved over to ADSL2+ in time correct ?? I was advised I would be soon.. not sure if thats true or not though..
Mand
Grafter

Depending on product and exchange availability yes. Your product is currently an 'upto 8MB' product, so wouldn't automatically get regraded.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'm meant to be on ADSL2 (Plusnet Premium)

I thought Premium was an upto 20Mb product.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zone8
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Depending on product and exchange availability yes. Your product is currently an 'upto 8MB' product, so wouldn't automatically get regraded.

If this is reply to me.. im now very confused.. Was advised over time would be switched over.. as your overall plan is to move all of your customers over..
Does this mean I need to ring up for something if I wish to be changed over..
Mand
Grafter

@MisterW, sorry for the confusion, I was referring to zone8.
@zone8, eventually everyone will be moved to 21CN (but we're talking about a couple of years in total for that to happen), however customers who are on 'upto 8MB' products will likely be moved to ADSL1 on 21CN (these plans are still being made). If you want ADSL2+ now and your exchange is enabled you'd need to be on Premium or Pro.
zone8
Grafter

Quote from: Mand

@zone8, eventually everyone will be moved to 21CN (but we're talking about a couple of years in total for that to happen), however customers who are on 'upto 8MB' products will likely be moved to ADSL1 on 21CN (these plans are still being made). If you want ADSL2+ now and your exchange is enabled you'd need to be on Premium or Pro.

Was told over the phone by differnet people very clearly I can go onto ADSL2+ with the package that I am on... As it may help get the upto 8mbit speed.. Whats differnet with regards to 21CN and the normal ADSL ?
On a diffenet note how easy is it on your end to change the snr profile to 6db on a customers line ? Smiley not sure I can wait till it changes itself lol..
Mand
Grafter

You shouldn't have been told that, as those decisions have not yet been made. ADSL1 on 21CN is exactly the same as standard ADSL on 20CN.
SNR resets are fairly simple on standard ADSL, but it does restart the 10 day training period. Shout up if you want me to do it.
zone8
Grafter

Is there any way of setting the 6db Margin without doing a 10 day training period.. Alittle scared todo that as I might get a rubbish connection at the end of the 10 days lol  :D.. Do you think my line will go down to 6db soon anyway ?
I read alot about some people waiting months before it drops down.. I dont wish to wait months. Its did drop from 12 - 9 so hoping it will drop one stage more without getting stuck.. anyway you can check to see if it will ?
dick:quote
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: zone8
Is there any way of setting the 6db Margin without doing a 10 day training period.. Alittle scared todo that as I might get a rubbish connection at the end of the 10 days lol  :D.. Do you think my line will go down to 6db soon anyway ?

Theoretically it should.
Quote from: zone8
I read alot about some people waiting months before it drops down.. I dont wish to wait months. Its did drop from 12 - 9 so hoping it will drop one stage more without getting stuck.. anyway you can check to see if it will ?

Not without a crystall ball I'm afraid.
MrPercent

Quote from: RamiDoodle
Your line is on the 21CN platform but using IPStream Max (ADSL1). Would you like us to regrade it to ADSL2+ instead?

Yes please...I'm showing 15 db SNR Margin, and a sync speed of 7616000. I was advised my disconnect history was bad..but I think most of these were me resetting my modem hard reset...on/off)
regards Mr P
MrPercent

Quote from: MisterW
G.DMT is G.992.1 or ADSL1. I recall some while ago there was as issue with firmware on the 2800 which limited synch speeds to 7.5M. It was a couple of years ago and particularly a problem with Be (LLU), but since that was prior to 21CN it may also be a problem with that. Check if you have the latest firmware, or maybe even try another router if possible...

I'm on the latest firmware from Draytek (2.8.2)... I'm temted by another router, but the draytek is just so darn good (other than the lack of ADSL2 like speed)
Thanks for the suggestion though...
  Mr %