cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL microfilters - who supplies them when Plusnet ones break down?

hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

ADSL microfilters - who supplies them when Plusnet ones break down?

Hi All

Just discovered reason for pathetically slow BB speed is the ancient Plusnet-supplied microfilter was bust so replaced it with the spare and it's fine now.

But it set me wondering: is it Plusnet's job to replace them when they finally expire? If so how do I get them to supply a replacement? If not, what's the best replacement? They seem to range from about £3 to £20 online!

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: ADSL microfilters - who supplies them when Plusnet ones break down?

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I like the filtered faceplate solution, it makes a neater install.  Just keep a dangly filter on hand for troubleshooting purposes.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

Also recommend a screened DSL cable, as short as you can manage

http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-1m.html

hollytree
Rising Star

Call me old-fashioned, Gel, but - having been with Plusnet for more than a decade - I'm a firm believer that loyalty cuts both ways. So, if a Plusnet-supplied component goes bust then the least PN could do is to either issue a replacement (as you suggest it's hardly going to break the PN bank) or at the very least they could recommend a replacement source.

Thanks for the the Solwise recommendation.

hollytree
Rising Star

Thanks for the suggestions aesmith. I like the idea of a filtered faceplate for neatness although I have no idea whether the BT master box in my house is a BT NTE5 !  And keep a dangly filter in reserve. The screened ADSL cable is a good idea: will look into that as well. Cheers!Cool