cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL inconsistent speeds, high ping times

mig

ADSL inconsistent speeds, high ping times

I have been tracking a fault on my ADSL line for some time, but recently it seems to be occurring more often. I have had an engineer visit who fitted a NT5E socket to my master, which doubled my problematic sync speed from 4mbit to 7.5mbit but unfortunately I am only seeing 6mbit max with average seeming to be around 3.6mbit at old the old speeds.
Also, my upload sync speed is .44mbit but only achieves around 0.29mbit and is very unstable, often fluctuating.
Lastly, my ping times vary between 40ms and 200ms, which I never used to notice but often I can see this reflected mainly in online games and speed tests.
When both the line engineers visited I was told my line is perfect, which now with the new NT5E socket seems to reflect that as the sync speeds are now that of the original estimate.
Here are my current router stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 22:19:09
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 7,520
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 247.66 / 563.42
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.1 / 39.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 9.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 187 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 51,891
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 262
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,825
It's mainly the unreliability of the connection that annoys me, getting closer to the max sync speed for upload and download would also do nicely if at all possible Smiley
Any help appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: ADSL inconsistent speeds, high ping times

Hi,
The profile figure reported by the BTw speed test is correct for your current synch speed.  The synch speed is low for your line's attenuation, however the SNRM is higher than normal - most likely as a means of trying to improve the line's stability.
To get the SNRM down whilst maintaining stability to attain a higher synch speed, requires the source of the instability to be identified and eliminated.
Is the phone line noisy?  Using a corded phone plugged into the master socket, dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
Are there any extension sockets?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mig

I have tried the line quite test and there is a very slight hum, but it is very very faint. I've had 2 openreach guys tell me the line is 'perfect' whatever that means... The router is plugged into the master NTE5 socket. There are 2 extension sockets but I don't have anything plugged in them.
I have tried using the test socket for an hour or so to see if that improved things but it didn't seem to. I can try leaving it in the test socket for a few days if not?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The two extension sockets - are these wired from the removable faceplate on the NTE5?
How many wires are connected to the faceplate?
What are their colours?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mig

I believe the extensions are wired to the NT5E, they went dead when the old master was removed, to identify the master socket.
There are 3 wires connected to the NT5E, numbered from the top:
- 5 - light blue
- 3 - orange
- 2 - blue
There is also a green and orange wire that are not connected to the face plate.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Try removing the orange wire on terminal 3 and see if that improves the modem stats.  If you make this change, can you please capture and post the stats prior to and after the change please.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you need any further help once you've followed Townman's advice, just let us know. If the broadband continues to cause issues then I'd suggest going through the steps at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.