cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL dropping frequently - Folake

Folake

ADSL dropping frequently - Folake

Hi there,
I have been having the same problems with my broadband connection since December.  Initially, it seemed to be due to a fault in the phone lines, we had no dial tone and that was fixed. We had over a period of 9 days of no internet.  When the fault was fixed, everything appeared to be okay again. However, the service has been far from perfect. Since last week Tuesday we again have had constant dropped connections and no internet. Yesterday evening seemed to bring back a somewhat normal service.
The phone lines appear to be fine and I've done the whole connecting to test router etc tc. I've gotten in contact with plusnet and all I have received from them now is radio silence. Trying to call is a hopeless cause as I was on hold for over an hour last week trying to get hold of someone. I am aware that "bad weather" affects the lines etc but a bit of rain in winter should not be causing this much disruption!
adie:green changed topic title. ]
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: ADSL dropping frequently

Your line has been dropping a lot, we need to get this looked in to as  a broadband fault now that the phone line issue is fixed. It's with our faults team and I'd expect them to reply within the next 24 hours or so.
adie:green removed fqofpp after split]
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Folake

Re: ADSL dropping frequently

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for your prompt response.  The service I generally receive is top notch from plusnet however, it has been so poor lately and trying to explain that there is a fault and been constantly told to "follow the youtube steps" has been pretty frustrating. Admittedly I received a refund for the 9 days in December it didn't work. However, rather than a refund, I just want a service where I can rely on and use.
Again, thank you for looking into this.
adie:green removed fqofpp after split]
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ADSL dropping frequently - Folake

mod:note
topic split for better visibility
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Folake

Hi there,
I was wondering what plusnet's policy is on acceptable levels of internet outage.  Earlier this month, I logged that I had no internet at home for over 5 days. I logged the downtime immediately but it took a post in this forum for someone to look at the issue. By the time tests were run, the internet was back to normal again at and I was told that there was no issue.  Of course, at the time of testing there was no issue but considering prior to the test there had been an internet outage for 5 days I would have thought that warranted an ongoing test? When I try to suggest that there might be a bigger issue here I get the generic response that "if an engineer is sent out and it turns out to be an internal wiring issue I will be charged £50". How does that make any sense? Plusnet and their partners were the ones that set up the lines etc so if there is indeed a fault surely it is down to plusnet and said partners. Why should I be penalised for doing nothing wrong?
From Thursday evening from around 1830 I had no internet for at 24 hours. Since Saturday afternoon we've had an internet outage and we are still without internet as I write this.
Phone calls go unanswered and emails to the support team has not proved useful. I am expected to pay for a service I have not been receiving and as much as I do not want to leave plusnet these last couple of months are making me realise there might just be better providers out there.
Folake

Hello,
I managed to speak to someone on the phone finally and he was very helpful.  Aaron - if you are reading this, thank you!
We agreed that my technicolour router might be the problem here although it does seem like a massive coincidence that problems of internet outage only started occuring in December after there was a big fault with the phone lines which was down for a few days.
Anyway, rather than start a new contract with plusnet and have a new router sent out, only to find out the router wasnt the problem, i've purchased a router myself to test it out.
I have purchased the Netgear N600. In terms of setting up could someone please walk me through the process? I have checked through the forum and I can only seem to find setup process for BT routers.
I am assuming I need to start with using the ethernet cable in the first instance to get the router going?
Then? ...  How do I get to the stage where I enter my username / password to allow me to use the wifi.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

I have set up a Netgear Router in the past and from memory it was quite easy.  You should just need your Plusnet user ID and password.
Hopefully this will be of assistance - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3700V3/WNDR3700v3_SM_20MAY2011.pdf. ;
Cheers