cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL broadband upload speed

DaveA7

ADSL broadband upload speed

My broadband package is for "up to" 8mbps. Which up to now is no problem (I don't stream movies etc)

It is actually frequently higher than that (even up to 19mbps)

My problem is upload speeds very rarely above .45mbps. Between 1 & 2 mbps would be excellent for me.

Is that possible?

8 REPLIES 8
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: ADSL broadband upload speed

2 Mbps upload you have no chance. ADSL maximum upload is around 1.3Mbps at absolute best.

Reckon you do probably have room to imrpove however. Looks like you've been running the same package for a long time-up to 8Mbps packs were the old style ADSL service, which often had upload caps around 448kbps. Your line has been upgraded at some point to ADSL2+ at some point hence the 19Mbps download, but the upload cap may still be there.

Should be an easy fix to update the account type and release the cap. Probably about the time to consider your price as well-I imagine your plan is quite outdated and you can probably get a better deal from the options department.

Up to you how you want to approach this. One of the staffers here will be able to look into any possible caps and take action, though its skeletal staff as you can imagine so may be a bit of time before its looked at. They can't agree any package upgrades here however, so if you want to kill two birds with one stone might be worth trying to get on the phone. Options number is 0800 013 2632. With a little luck the queue might be lower there as I'd imagine there aren't too many making line or provider changes right now, but in your case this is mostly plusnets own system and a software change at openreach so doesnt need human intervention after the original contact.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you put your phone number into the DSL Checker it will show what speeds are available to you.

DaveA7

Thanks for the reply Kdog. I've only been with Plusnet since July '19. Before that BT for many years. Finally got fed up of their price increases and changed to Plusnet.  I believe there is fibre broadband at my local exchange (literally 50 metres away)

But I don't want the expense of upgrading. I'm on a pension and the download speeds I get are just fine for my needs.

The reason for possible uncapping my upload speed? My son lives abroad and we installed a Slingbox so that he can access my TV. The upload speed of .46 is just not fast enough. He reckons we need at least .60Mbps. His picture is unwatchable at the moment. How do I go about getting the uncapping......and take my chances on it improving things.

DaveA7

Hi Mustrum,

Thanks for that. I've checked as you suggested, I'm not in any way techy, so most of it was over my head  BUT what I did manage to gather is that there looks, as Kdog said, to be (room for improvement)

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Maybe more that your a rural area if you've only been with pnet for 6 months and recently had the upgrade.

Using that dslchecker site what you're looking for is the ADSL2+ clean download and upload estimates. That said though, if you're reaching 19Mbps on download, you must be close to the exchange and so upload around 1Mbps is likely viable.

The 60Mbps will only be possible on Fibre. The dslchecker will also tell you on what-its the VDSL numbers.

Lifting the cap, assuming that is the case (your current upload is pretty much bang on the cap level so I'm fairly confident) just needs plusnet to place a modify order on your line to change your upload provision from 448kbps to uncapped. Simple enough for the provision team to handle, but the caveat there is much of provision activities are delayed at the moment in favour of repairs.

Since you don't need upgrade however just wait for one of the staff on here to pick up this thread and they can deam with it.
Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Misread your post. 0.60Mbps I'd think should be viable on your line on copper so you can ignore fibre for now!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If y and confirm if the line is banded/capped.ou are able to post a copy of that DSL checker we should be abe to help you a bit more

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @DaveA7,

Thanks for reaching out to us here, from testing your line today you are currently syncing at 0.9mbps upload so it wouldn't be capped. Are you noticing the speeds deteriorate over a wired or wireless connection?

Thanks.