cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Synch problems

adsports

ADSL Synch problems

Anybody ever experienced ADSL synch problems? We are currently connected via an ancient Siemens router on loan to us.
We have tried Netgear, Belkin, D-Link, 3-Com and BT routers all brand new. None will synch with the ADSL line the led just keeps flashing.
We have had BT in twice they say there is some line noise but that it should work. Nothing changed in our setup to start the problem.
I have just tried a Draytek 2800 same result.
Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: ADSL Synch problems

Hi there,
As you have tried using different routers, I can only suggest to ensure that you are connecting via a microfilter to your BT master socket and to try changing the microfilters.
If that still brings no joy, I would recommend raising this as a fault to us via http://faults.plus.net
I see that you have already done this, but have subsequently closed the fault.  Could you possibly reopen this and let us repursue the issue with BT for you?
adsports

We did every test we could think of eliminating everything and working from the master socket.
The last comment from the plusnet support team was that they could raise this with BT as a (can't remember the terminology) long line fault?
This would apparently leave BT with replacing cables as the only option or to cease service. In other words to tell us it is not possible to have broadband at our location. About 3.5ks from exchange.
I was told that once BT made the decision it was final. Seemed a bit unfair to me but faced with loss of service or to carry on with a borrowed router there was no choice.
Hence I am now looking for help on this forum and looking for old routers on ebay.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Patrick Davies
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you've got a long line then try getting hold of a BT 2700HGV( BT Business Hub ). The general consensus is that they are the best at synching on a long line. They are a bit difficult to setup as they are 'locked' to  BT Business Broadband and need to be 'persuaded' to talk to other ISP's. They are manufactured by '2wire' in the states. There was an earlier version the 1800HG ( which I think Plusnet supply with some upgrades) , this has the same DSL modem and so should also be good on long lines but I have no experience of this model.
I have a friend who is a long way from the exchange ( 60db attenuation) and could never get his TalkTalk supplied router to sync , tried a 2700HGV and bingo he synchs at 2Mb. I have used one for the last few months and it synchs rock solid at 8Mb wheras my Belkin before synched at 6.5 ( on a good day ) with one or more disconnects every day. Have a look at these URLs for background info and have a general google for 2700HGV
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t22658.html
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm
and have a look on ebay to see whats available

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi adsports,
I've put a reply on the fault ticket for you, hope this helps. Please return the ticket to us if not and we'll see what we can do.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You say there's noise on the line.
How much noise?
Have you tried disconnecting all phones?
Have you tried with no filter at all on the adsl connection?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry76
Grafter

my modem has just dropped of thee exchange for about an hour so i rang and got a fault raised and a 0808 number was issued but its working fine now and im not going to take the mickey and use the 0808 number when i dont need to.
I struggled to get above 3.5 sync before but now when i changed to a little speedtouch 200 i get 5.5!
adsports

We got quoted figures of 12 to 13 SNR ? and 62db attenuation?
I will look for the 2700 or the 1800 though Matt from plusnet is going to send an 1800 I think so we will try this.
We have tried everything, the broadband engineer from BT attached the routers at the line point of entry to our building and couldn't get synch there.
Someone quoted synch figures of 3.5 and 5.5 is it possible to test what quality of connection you have?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The router will give you stats that indicate the quality of connection , but only if can synch in the first place. The main indication of the likely speed of connection is the line attenuation.
You say yours is 62db, this is at the limit at which ADSL is likely to work. You are unlikely to get a connection of > 1Mb.
If Matt is sending a 1800HG then i'd wait and give that a go.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adsports

BT1800G Router arrived yesterday morning, same problem I'm afraid will not synch with the ADSL line. I will leave it connected over night tonight to see if anything happens.
I recieved a Siemens 5830 that I got from ebay this morning, connected and synched with the line straight away. Unfortunately the LAN side of the router does not seem to work so not much good.
What is it about Siemens equipment do they use a particular chipset?
Will keep you informed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry to hear the 1800HG didnt work. I think your only options seem to be :- get BT to re-lay some cables, stick with the Siemens , or move house closer to the exchange!!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can always consider the analogue solution:-
Dialup!
Why is it that these always work no matter how long the cable is?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry76
Grafter

Because there's more pipe than bandwidth with dialup
James
Grafter

Frequencies are much much lower than required on a DSL service.
adsports

Got hold of a BT2700 and tried that, no good!
Anybody aware of a supply of Siemens 5830 routers.