Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speeds Issues

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: ADSL Speeds Issues

Quick reply - if it is a Mk.4 faceplate the two socket are for a router - on the left as you look at it - and a phone line on the right - no need to use the dangly filter as it is already fitted with one internally, and using another will cause you problems.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@keithdwilliams I've passed the fault back to Openreach as line tests are still showing a fault, what's known as a "Battery Contact". In the meantime I've reset your line to remove the banding which means your line speed was restricted at 288kbps as a result of the line fault, although this may drop again (or not increase after the reset) because the line is still faulty.

We should know more within the next 24-48 hours.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithdw
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf

It Looks immediately better. Download speeds circa 14Mb, upload circa 0.5Mb.

Upload might be an issue given the use of Teams / VPN / Skype but, download will keep the kid and wife happy...

I’ll continue to monitor it during the day. Don’t want to interrupt it, though... let it settle down!!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome! Fingers crossed it holds

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithdwilliams
Grafter

Ok... BTOR just called... they have apparently fixed the fault! Everything is back up and running now, bit slower than it was this morning but that may just be a settling issue?

@Gandalf Can I ask you give it a quick look to confirm all looks ok from your end?

thanks to everyone for their input and help!

jab1
Legend

Keith, any chance of a current copy of that table in reply #6 - might be interesting.😉

John
keithdwilliams
Grafter

I suspect it will have changed! It technically has, because I took the opportunity to remove the double NAT and put in a modem bridge - the Draytek Vigor - I am now getting and SNR of 7.

Annotation 2021-02-09 155219.png

jab1
Legend

From what I can read of that, you are doing quite well, @keithdwilliams - but I said on another thread when talking about current modem/routers, they don't seem to make them easily understandable to people like me who have been used to a simple graphical interface with clear labels and consistent units.😉

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@keithdwilliams That sounds promising! We've not got the engineer's report back yet as the job's still showing with them, but line tests are passing now and I can see what you can see in terms of your speeds.

As I've been typing this we've received the engineer's report to advise they've fixed the fault at the D-side (between the exchange and the distribution point (normally at a pole unless it's underground)

Upload speed looks capped by DLM (dynamic line management software at the exchange) but we can't uncap it easily as we can only put through one DLM change every 24 hours (I uncapped your download speed earlier today) so I've done a full SNR reset of your line. Could you power your router down for 15 seconds in around 4 hours?

Let us know how you get on

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithdwilliams
Grafter

No, they don't... I've worked in IT for 20 years, we keep going through these cycles... make it simpler use GUIs, make it easier to manage, use CLI... it'll come full circle again sometime!!

keithdwilliams
Grafter

I can - do you want the router AND modem reset, just the modem, or just the router? (the issue with multiple devices!)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd power down both the modem and router to be on the safe side as I believe you'd need to resync for the reset to take effect

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithdwilliams
Grafter

@Gandalf I have just restarted both modem and router... everything has come back up and a quick speed check shoes 12.6/0.6.

Looks promising from my end certainly. How's it looking from your end?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@keithdwilliams Looks good! Although your upload speed seems to have dropped to 447kbps overnight. I've put through a DLM change to manually uncap it and it's now increased to 1091kbps which is a lot better!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet