Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Profile Stuck

MarkC84
Dabbler

ADSL Profile Stuck

Hi there,
I had up to recently been suffering from a disconnection problem with my ADSL enabled line which I narrowed down to a noisy power supply that I had recently plugged in which was interrupting the ADSL signal, this caused my IP profile to drop to 2mpbs. Due to my line speed recovering, my IP profile according to the BT wholesale speed checker has increased to 3.5mbps (and hopefully to 4mpbs as I now use a plusnet router which seems to offer higher line stability) however the actual throughput on speed tests and general download speeds has still remained at 2mpbs, basically I can't pull off any higher and 215kb/s download speeds and has been this way for some considerable time after my IP profile increased.
What I was wondering is whether this could be reset to obtain maximum throughput again? It looks like something has gone wrong on the BT side somewhere as I should be pulling in excess of 390kb/s. The lack of speed is causing mayhem with streaming services as there is just not enough bandwidth to keep up.
Thanks,
Mark
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: ADSL Profile Stuck

Hi there,
It looks like we just need to reset the SNR to pull the profile back to where we'd expect it to be. That's done now so keep an eye out for that improving shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MarkC84
Dabbler

Thanks for that Adam! I shall keep an eye out for an increase in speed and report back if nothing changes.
Mark.
MarkC84
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
I've tried the speed tester a few times just before and am still getting the same results at 2mbps each and every time. Sad How long does it usually take to adjust from the SNR reset?
According to the BT Wholesale speed tester I'm on a 3.5mbps profile which would be correct for my sync speed right now but the real world throughput I'm getting at the moment would be in disagreement with this!
Any input would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Mark,
I'm really sorry about this, I'm just going to take a look at things for you. I'll post back once I've got a little more information from you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Having looked at your line, It's erroring quite a lot, we need to get this looked at for you.
If you're connected into your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml">Test Socket</a> with an alternative <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/microfilters-how-and-why.shtml">Microfilter</a> and still seeing these problems, I would advise <a href="http://faults.plus.net">Raising a fault</a>.
MarkC84
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for looking into this further for me. My results do not differ whether plugged in to the master socket or not, nor trying new filters. My line has been disconnected and reconnected numerous times to narrow down a source of interference, which has now been eliminated. Some of these disconnections and errors you see could have been attributed to this, however some are also deliberate and my own doing by experimenting with different routers and unplugging the wire to obtain a better sync speed. The line is now back to how it was performing before the home made interference issue and I've never had any issues with speed before this event. I am convinced that reconnecting constantly that has caused something to go go amiss and my connection is being artificially throttled, here is why I suspect this is the case:
I have been bandwidth monitoring my download speed with an Asus N66U router and it flatlines at 240kb/s, it never goes above this, nor below when the connection is at its maximum. Now I suspect that if there were lots of uncorrected errors on the line that this would jump up and down erratically, and if a throttle was not in place I would reach at least at some point the full 375-400++kb/s sporadically, however this speed is never reached even though I'm on a 3.5mbps profile and am connected at 4.288kb/s. This is why I think it's a problem with BT's internal systems and not my line, the speed I'm getting is too stable, consistent and appearing to reach an artificial ceiling for line quality to be a factor.
While I do agree with you that my line could be better, it has never given me issues in the past and my download speeds have been consistent 375-400kb/s with no sporadic speed fluctuations.
At this stage I would prefer for an engineer not call out if there's a risk they say there's nothing wrong with my line and I end up being billed unfairly for it (this happened a few years back with another ISP and I'd prefer to avoid the headache.)
Would it be possible to have another look into this before I go the engineer route?
Thanks,
Mark.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

If you could raise a fault via http://faults.plus.net we'll be able to some some intrusive testing on your line. You do not have to have an engineer visit at this point, this will just help us to diagnose any potential fault.
MarkC84
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
If you could raise a fault via http://faults.plus.net we'll be able to some some intrusive testing on your line. You do not have to have an engineer visit at this point, this will just help us to diagnose any potential fault.

Hi Chris,
Apologies for not getting back to you in a timely manner.
Just to let you know that my IP profile is now back to 3.5mbps and I am now achieving increased throughput.
Regarding my connection, while according to my router I've been connected for 11 days, I have noticed there continues to be a significant amount of errors on my line, particularly FEC errors that range over 2 million and around 4,000 CRC errors. I have also noticed my SNR margin seems to be hanging around the 4.5-5db range which means that if my modem reconnects for whatever reason then my ADSL connection will potentially sync below 4,000kbp/s, thus losing my 3.5 IP profile. My line has definitely deteriorated from what it used to be so I think at this stage it may be worth taking a closer look as you have suggested. I shall raise a fault and point to this thread as a reference.
Many thanks,
Mark.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That would be great if you could link to this thread.
Give me a nudge if you need any help with this.
Chris