Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem/Router Suggestions Please

OshB5
Grafter

Re: ADSL Modem/Router Suggestions Please

Hi
The other thing I should have added is I only have one hard wired line going from the modem Router and this goes to my radio shack where it goes into a switch (a 10/100 at the moment as I had forgot about the gigabit one) That is also where the NAS is so all wired bits of kit are in there and only connect to the laptops or media players via WiFi So will that gigabit switch work
Also do you know where I can find one of the  netgear dgn 3500 V1 units to purchase please.
Thanks
Osh
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: pj2014
Hi,
As posted above the netgear GT's
[/quote
Hi are they the Netgear DG834 GT?  if not which one is it please? Thanks
pj2014
Grafter

Hi, yup just saw some dgn 3500 ones on the bay, starting from 1p (in auction + shipping) going upto £49 (I think this one comes with a yrs warranty)
Yes the other ones mentioned are DG834 GT, they are rather old now, I believe only go up to G on wifi and 10/100 rather than gigabit Ethernet. But mine works fine after almost 7yrs! stable too + decent wifi coverage
If you do go for one of these make sure its a standard netgear one for ADSL (not an ex- sky one as you have to faff around with firmware flashes/extract user/passwords etc IIRC as it was a while ago now)
The gigabit switch in the previously mentioned router (3500) will work with your equipment as long as its all gigabit speed (enabled too). The switch in your den will have to be upgraded to 10/100/1000 in due course too.
dgn3500 arent available new any more they are discontinued. DGND 3700 v2 are about £90 from the likes of pcworld (I have no experience of this one but looks solid)
cheers
PJ
OshB5
Grafter

Hi
Iv had a look at flea bay and just need to sort out which to get. There was one thing I noticed and that is
whats the difference between the
NetGear DGN3500 Wireless-N 300 ADSL2+ Modem/Router  and the Netgear DGN 3500 B Wirel.-N 300 ADSL2+ Modem Router, DGN-3500B-100GRS
other than I can get the first for £67 and the second for £75? these being both from Amazon are they the same as the ones from flea Bay?  Shocked

Iv also been reading a lot of other stuff about what goes into the network gear and there was one piece in particular that took my eye and it said that almost all modem routers are using underpowered main chips and that is why you are getting fall overs . But then pointed out the Netgear R6000 range of having chips that are up to the job. Now iv looked and thet are made in both modem router and stand alone routers also in R6300 and R6200  models. I just wondered if anyone has had dealings with either of these I know the prices also reflect the quality of the hardware (unless its like some things where the price is intentionally increased to make it look better than it actually is. But I would not think that of a large company like Netgear for one moment.)
Many Thanks for your patience in this search for a new or should I say STABLE modem.
Best  regards Osh
pj2014
Grafter

Hey,
Wow, I wouldn't spend £67/£75 on a dgn3500! They are over 4 years old now. I'd take a punt @ £15-£20 (or less) on the bay. (I got mine for approx. £19)
Unsure regarding those model numbers you have listed the -100UKS signifies a UK model I believe (as I have seen a few US models sold on the bay) but NetGear DGN3500 Wireless-N 300 ADSL2+ Modem/Router sounds about right.
I haven't used the Netgear R6000 range but I'm sure someone will come along soon who has had experiences with them.
cheers
PJ
OshB5
Grafter

Hi
Well that bidding did not go to AndI put max as £30 for a DGN3500 but still lost it . They must be in high demand at the moment LOL.
That that said Im still watching another. However that is on the back burner at present as we have a problem at home.The RCD on the sockets and other power outputs keeps kicking out. So two weeks ago when I got DCT to do a reset on my SNRM because I had a modem router that was working fine and had been up non stop for over 9 days.
Then two days after the reset everything went to pot. The modem started to screw up and I replaced it with a old one I had that unbeknown to me had the whole weekend going on and off line. I had sent the other one back so I replaced it with one I know was working. But only a B/G on wifi. (But then again thats all iv had till this last week LOL) But apparently that had also developed a fault and dropped the line on the odd occasion. The new one arrived a week last Friday And lasted for all of 8 hours. Im at a loss to whats happening with me and modems. But that stint raised the SNR back to about 9 Iv put in a Sitecome that loses WiFi every couple of days and needs to be restarted to get it back up but at least im able to take the modem off line from within the modem GUI So at least that helped a little.
But now over the last four days we have had the electricity problem at home. So again its going to look like the modem is like a damm YoYo with the ups and downs. The other day when it had gone off 3 times before the wife fetched me I decided to do a trial by test so I unplugged the modem dsl line. and after a hour or so thought I had found it as there was a exterior socket that seamed damp. so I isolated the socket. and all was fine till tonight when its gone off another twice. but now I think it may be the Iron as the wife confessed to dropping it the other day before all this started. But its funny as it dont do it all the time, I think I need to get it PAT tested to be sure. As for the rest I was going to get out the Robin test gear but its a big job and was much eisier doing it how I did .(Well I think so LOL).
Trouble is I dare not even look what SNR im at now. But I still dont have a new modem which I rearly need to sort out things once and for all Well hopefully and if I can get the DCT to do another reset when and if I get the modem up and running the stablest I can. that is?Huh
Regards Osh
(P.S. Sorry for carrying on and on but im right feed up at the moment )
leader
Grafter

Have a look at the 2wire's  £5- £10 off feabay or  BT's own outlet do the v1's
Odds on your on a IFTN Msan and it will be the quickest way to settle the line back down.
Lots of info on the BT  2Wire 2700HGV here  - They work well on  plusnet ( no unlocking involved)  the older the version the better Wink
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/2wire_2700_HGV.htm
OshB5
Grafter

Thanks for the info Webif.
I have been having a clear out and found some more old bits n pieces. such as a
linksys WAG54G  Linksys WAG54GS ADSL 2+ Wireless Router w/SpeedBooster
D-Link DSL300G+ stand alone ethernet modem.
D-Link Di-604 4 port router router
LOL I cannot believe what crap I am finding I must be a right magpie.  If I remember right though the Dlink was my go to in case I ever had any failures of my network equipment. But a long time ago that was.. Can I just ask at what speed would the ethernet be out of that modem please? i.e. would it be suitable now days. And yest I do understand I would have to get a router that has wifi as well as ethernet but just a thorght or shalI consign them to the location of B1N.  Undecided 
regs Osh
OshB5
Grafter

Hi Everyone that posted
Well I finally just got round to buying the following. BT Business Hub 2wire 2700HGV Wireless ADSL Router From FleaBay . Thats about as far as it goes I only paid 99p and £4 for the postage. Im unsure what version off firmware or anything else till it comes. Is there anything Ican be getting or downloading till it gets here?
Thanks Osh
leader
Grafter

Good choice & great price  Smiley

Just the 2 links above and maybe  RouterStats -Lite  http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Kitz's excellent, site has a wealth of information & active users on the forum Wink
OshB5
Grafter

Hi is there a page on here that takes you through the setup of the 2 wire on plus net?
Iv got it up and logged on after having to reset to factory settings and on the WiFi side it puts out 2 SSIDs i.e. BT BusinessHub-660 and BT Fusion-8660 and can log on to either. But have also logged on via ethernet where I can alter what I need. But not sure how to set it up for plus net or which one to keep active.
And is the one it comes with the best firmware or is there any others better?
This is the System Information as it is at the moment  i.e. firmware and so on
Model: BT2700HGV
Hardware Version: 2701-100589-005
Firmware Version: 6.1.1.22-enh.tm
MAC address: 34:ef:44:3d:80:a0
Key Code: ****-27G4-****-22BJ-****
First Use Date: Not Set
Current Date & Time: Not Set
Time Since Last Boot: 0 day 0:10:07
System Password: Custom: ******
Manufacturer: 2Wire, Inc.
Regards Osh
leader
Grafter

192.168.1.254/mdc            {full managment page}
Plusnet usual settings to double check Wink
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/settings.shtml
If still having problems pop over to Kitz as they are popular units on there Wink
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: Webif
192.168.1.254/mdc            {full managment page}
t

Iv tried the above and I get the 404 not found
regs Osh
leader
Grafter

^Missed that^
Seems its running a late version firmware  home/mdc is'nt as easy to access.
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/061.htm
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/063.htm
OshB5
Grafter

Thanks will have a look
Also iv tried to change the name for the ISP to XXXXXX@f9.co.uk
but keep getting
Errors
Invalid PPP username.