cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Max - Pro add on or Max Premium trial?

TimStephenson
Grafter

ADSL Max - Pro add on or Max Premium trial?

Hi there,
I'm looking to increase upload speeds on our (new to Plusnet) ADSL Max connection.
We've just enabled the "Pro" add on to gain prioritised traffic, but have just also spotted the Max Premium Trial.
Can someone let me know what the key differences are between these please? Looks like both will provide Max Premium & therefore 800Kbs or thereabouts upload but are there any other significant differences or benefits of one option over the other?
Many thanks,
Tim
35 REPLIES 35
TimStephenson
Grafter

Re: ADSL Max - Pro add on or Max Premium trial?

Ignore me please... can't find an option to delete this post.
Just re-read the Pro info and realised that it doesn't actually change upload speeds, just changes traffic management.
Have now added the Max Premium trial instead!
If anyone's around it'd be great to get this sorted today (question 78339715) but otherwise I guess we'll wait...
Thanks,
Tim
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looks like one of my colleagues picked your ticket up last night, placed the order and it's now completed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Thanks Chris!
Only remaining question is whether I'd be likely to see any significant benefit from using the Pro add on in addition to Max Premium?
Guessing the basic answer will boil down to giving it a try and seeing what happens?
Tim
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are on Unlimited the Pro add on is a waste of money as it won't affect your download speeds in any way.
If you are on any other account type it will boost the download speed of lower priority tasks such as background downloads, P2P downloads.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Pretty much as Jelv says, there are no speed limits on Unlimited and it you use multiple different protocols (streaming/P2P/gaming etc) at the same time, you'll find the experience without Pro will probably be better.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Thanks guys - will loose the pro add on in that case Smiley
Now... just need the Max Premium order to come into play as while adsl max is never going to deliver amazing upstream rates 800Kbs is much better than 200kbs..!!
Tim
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: TimStephenson
800Kbs is much better than 200Kbps..!!

Shocked  where does 200Kbps come from ?  is that the upstream sync or upload speedtest result ?
If you are expecting your upstream sync to rise to 832Kbps, then your current upstream sync should be 448Kbps and have upload speed test results around 380Kbps.
Your modem should be reporting a "maximum attainable upstream rate" (typically 1200Kbps), which then gets rate limited to either 448Kbps for "ADSL Max", or 832Kbps for "Max Premium".  If you have an upload speed fault where your sync doesn't achieve 448Kbps, then uncapping won't have much effect.
Even if you do achieve an 832Kbps upstream sync, your real world upload bandwidth will be about 720Kbps - and NOT 800Kbps !.
TimStephenson
Grafter

200Kbs is from speedtest results - varying currently between 120Kbs & 250Kbs. I was generalising somewhat with the 800Kbs.
The line is sync'd at 832 / 8128 kbps, and is delivering around 7Mbs downstream. With our previous provider (also using BT Wholesale) we were happily getting around 720Kbs usable upstream, and much the same downstream. Sync speeds haven't changed.
I had been perhaps incorrectly assuming that the slower speeds were due to going from an ADSL Max Premium connection to a standard ADSL Max connection, hence adding on Max Premium to see if that brought things back to where we were.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What "Upload Speed" do you get using the BT Performance Test ? - http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
TimStephenson
Grafter

The last BT test reported 220Kbs.
Just ran a speedtest.net test too - 260Kbs this time.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/708246113
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Are you using a wired or wireless connection to the router?

TimStephenson
Grafter

Currently wireless but am getting the same speeds with both wired & wireless.
Prior to switching to Plusnet we were seeing 720Kbs upstream with the same hardware, adsl Max Premium & wifi.
Our router sync speeds haven't changed yet upstream seems to have all but stopped...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm on Max Premium using the Plusnet supplied router. I get

(I do have a VPN running with two remote desktops connected that might have affected the result)
Edit: Any particular reason for using the Norwich speedtest.net server?
TimStephenson
Grafter

Those would be the speeds we're hoping for Smiley
Downstream is close...!
Re Norwich speedtest server, no reason other than that's the one the tester app defaulted to on that occasion.
Still waiting for the Max Premium order to complete at the moment so will see what happens to the line then.