cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Filters

Not applicable

Re: ADSL Filters

Sorry for coming in on this thread with no real advice to offer, but rather than start a new thread as it is relevant,  I would just like to ask if there is any real benefit to be had by fitting one of the face plates.  My connection is fine and stable and I have no problems with my ADSL filter (I only use one as I don't have any working extensions). Do they actually improve performance?
chickendippers
Grafter

Poppy,
The filtered faceplates just have microfilters built in. As long as you have a good quality stand alone microfilter there is no technical reason to replace it with the faceplate. Purely aesthetic.
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I brought a CE marked microfilter. It passed the bell wire straight through.
I measured the effect of the number of bits each ADSL channel could carry:
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl_Appendix.htm#l21
A lot of people have found that interference picked up on the bell wire degraded the downstream speed. BT have introduced a simple to fit bell wire filter to fit to the master socket, and now appear to be fitting master sockets that filter off interference picked up by the bell wire.
See: http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm#l5
I also brought some telephone extension wire where all four wires were loosely twisted if twisted at all. It is important to use twisted pairs to reduce the amount of interference picked up.
Doug
jackoab
Grafter

Could we please get this thread back on subject.
Last evening over a one hour period with only my router connected my connection dropped 12 times with no activity!!
It than ran for 4 hours without dropping at all while in use.
Overnight I switched the router off and this morning it seems to be stable.
My basic question is, could this be caused by anything other than the filter?, Jack.
James
Grafter

Probably not Poppy.
James
Grafter

Yes.  You could have a fault on your line which is causing interference during busier times of the day.  More lines are in use then, meaning that there is more noise on your line.
Try running a quiet line test when your connection drops and see if you're seeing a considerable amount of static on your line.  If you are, report your fault to BT, without mentioning that you have a broadband service.
jackoab
Grafter

James,  The problem is that I'm not having problems with my phone only my Broadband, when the problem first started there was noise on the line but if i bypassed the filter and plugged straight into the socket it cured the problem which made me suspect the filter, but I think having 3 duff filters is stretching things.
At the moment I'm waiting for the post which should include some new filters from ADSL Nation when they arrive I will set one up with the phone connected and see what happens, Jack.
James
Grafter

I hear what you're saying Jack.
Obviously something is happening on your line when you receive a call and the broadband gets knocked off.  Do you hear any static on your line when that call is received, or is it perfectly clear?
jackoab
Grafter

James, It's not just incoming calls that affect it outgoing also do, never noticed any noise on answering.
Post arrived, no filters off to Maplins to buy one, will let you know the results, Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

James,  Computer has been up and running (without phone) for nearly 5 Hrs.
Line Mode G.DMT  Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave  Line Up Time 00:04:56:26 
Line Coding Trellis On  Line Up Count 1 

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
Line Rate 4960 Kbps 448 Kbps 
Noise Margin 15.2 dB 21.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 20.0 dB 
Output Power 19.8 dBm 12.1 dBm 
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 156 15 
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 12 4 
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 4 
D (interleaver depth) 32 8 
Super Frames 1046257  1046255 
Super Frame Errors 6  0 
RS Words 71145528  17786335 
RS Correctable Errors 860  0 
RS Uncorrectable Errors 44  0 
HEC Errors 3  0 
OCD Errors 0  0 
LCD Errors 0  0 
ES Errors    0  0
These are my router stats, I will now replace the filter and reconnect the phone and see what happens, Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

Replaced filter and connected phone, made incoming and outgoing calls, no problem.
Checked Stats and already 3 drops, now I really am sure the filter is not the problem.
Don't know where to go from here James, any advice, Jack.
Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:00:00:40 
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 3 

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
Line Rate 3936 Kbps 256 Kbps 
Noise Margin 14.6 dB 8.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 39.0 dB 21.5 dB 
Output Power 19.8 dBm 12.4 dBm 
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 124 9 
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 10 4 
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 4 
D (interleaver depth) 32 8 
Super Frames 2351  2349   
Super Frame Errors 0  0   
RS Words 159934  39933   
RS Correctable Errors 0  0   
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0  0   
HEC Errors 0  0   
OCD Errors 0  0   
LCD Errors 0  0   
ES Errors 0  0   
Have now disconnected the phone as sure this is the problem, Jack.

James
Grafter

Hi Jack,
I've just tried calling you, but the line kept ringing.
Can you try conencting your phone (via filter) and router directly into your BT Test socket and then try making an outbound call and call your line from your mobile.  See if the line drops.  If it doesn't, it's probably a probably with either your master socket itself or your internal wiring.  If it does continue to drop, then it'll be a problem with the line.
jackoab
Grafter

James, as I said in my last message I've left the phone disconnected as it just continually drops if connected and you know what BT do if a line keeps dropping. I don't have a master socket just a normal extention socket, the internal wiring is I'm sure not a problem as the router is right next to the incoming socket and until this problem I haven't had a problem and my line has been very stable, I did call the phone from my mobile and called my mobile from the house phone and both appeared to be OK but then I could just sit there and watch the drop count rise, Jack.
James
Grafter

Jack,
If you're getting disconnections without the phone connected (and all other phone sockets have nothing connected), then you'll need to raise a fault with us.
You can do so by going to http://faults.plus.net
Thanks for trying as much as you have done so far Smiley
jackoab
Grafter

No James, if the phone is disconnected the line doesn't drop, but as soon as I connect the phone the line drops continually without using the phone. If i still need to raise a fault with you please let me know, Jack.