Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Account Usage.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

ADSL Account Usage.

I believe I know the answer but am just looking for confirmation.
My daughter is on Value and I am on Extra.
My daughter has a PS3 which her son uses quite a lot.
Last billing period she came within a few MBs of her limit due to PS3 game updates.
This billing period there are more updates and my thought was to take her PS3 home and update it on my Broadband.
Instead could I change the login details on her router to mine, download the updates and revert the login details to hers thereby putting the update traffic on my account.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
15 REPLIES 15
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: ADSL Account Usage.

This is a pure guess Dick, if you can connect the PS3 by ethernet cable, I'd be surprised if you needed to alter anything. I'd have thought as long as the PS3 had a connection it couldn't care who's it was! You may get a more accurate response on the Gaming board.
dfunked
Grafter

Yep, it'll just be a case of plugging the PS3 in and turning it on if you go with option A... (presuming that it's set to bog standard DHCP settings)
Not too sure about option B, though... I could be totally wrong here, but aren't usernames tied to specific phone numbers?...
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Instead could I change the login details on her router to mine, download the updates and revert the login details to hers thereby putting the update traffic on my account.

Quote from: dfunked
Not too sure about option B, though... I could be totally wrong here, but aren't usernames tied to specific phone numbers?...

Can confirm that you can indeed log into any PN account on any PN broadband line.
Alex Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that is what I have found too.    Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

Sorry if I've not explained the issue clearly.
This is what I am proposing.
I go down to my daughter's house.
I log into her router's GUI and disconnect the PPP session.
I change the ADSL username and password to mine and reconnect the PPP session.
I then update the PS3.
I then log back into her router's GUI and change her router's ADSL username and password back to her own.
Job done if it's possible.
Edit: Thanks to Alex and purleigh Smiley
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, yes, I was assuming you were taking it to yours. Roll_eyes Not sure if it would be best to drop your PPP session before you go.
Strat
Community Veteran

Good thinking Chris, thanks Smiley
It would probably fail otherwise.....or if it didn't, it should.
houlton23
Grafter

If you are on a static IP, then when you connect at your daughters house, it will disconnect your PPP, but if you are on a dynamic IP address then you will effectively have 2 PPP sessions ongoing on your account.
Alex Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

I'm going to a bit cheeky for another thread. How easy is it to drop your PPP on the Billion Dick?
Strat
Community Veteran

Clicking the 'Disconnect' button on the basic status screen. It doesn't get much easier....even for me.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks.
Strat
Community Veteran

Screen shot added to my previous post.
PS I've just spoken to my grandson re. game updates. It appears this afternoon he's downloaded most game updates but needed advice on a couple of others.
I've checked their account and 1GB of their 10GB used in 3 days which included Windows updates on their laptop.
I think I'm going to have to have a word about Plusnet Extra.
Anotherone
Champion

I wonder who will pay for that then grandad  Wink Thanks for the screenshot.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting choice of primary DNS, not one that I had seen before.
Running DNS benchmarks shows it to be one of the fastest I've seen !